Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

shot placement

Old 01-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Default shot placement

can anyone tell me the shot placement on a whitetail for the cb ?
is it the same shot placement that you would make with a slug and rifle and bow or is there a right place to hit to take it down quick. i normally make my shot in front of the rib's and behind the shoulder. i just don't want to shot one in the shoulder and it run off and die where i can't get it. or injury one and it does'nt die.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shot placement

The best way to describe the shot placement on a deer or other animal with archery is to project the arrow path through the heart / lungs. Also, avoid major bone structure of the shoulder or legs. Broadside shots, or slightly quarting away will give you the best (largest target area) shot wherre a chest on shot has a limmited vital area to hit.

Hope this helps you.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Place your shot two inches above the heart right on the fold of skin that joins the shoulder to the body. Since I started using this aiming point I hardly ever have one go 50 yds and always get a good blood trail.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:49 PM

ok lemoyne
that about right were i would make a shot with the shotgun. thank you i'll post a pic when i get a deer.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:54 PM

grumpytom
i am still learning about this cb stuff and you just gave me a great vision on where to make the a great shot placement on a deer .
thank you. james

Old 01-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Click on this link for some good pics of the deer vitals. Any arrow through the lungs will down a deer. I try not to aim for the hart but mainly just try and hit the front of the lungs. Broadside or quartering away only for shots too. I used to try for the heart but then one year I blew up a heart with a ML and the deer ran for 100 yards before it fell. The best thing is lungs and do not push the deer and it will not go far and lay down and die.

http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html
Old 01-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 PM

thank's for the pic rebel hog. i save it so i can keep and idea where to hit a deer.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I always picture in my head the exit of the arrow, think where it is going to enter in and think where it will come out , by far the double lung is number one. Wait for your shot "the animal deserves your best shot" just my thoughts, JG
Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am abit different than the others! I will take any shot at any angle, on a calm deer! Front shoulders don't bother me, i don't try to shoot thru leg bones! I shoot a Exocet 200 w/432 gr. B'head at over 300fps! Pass thrus are a given even the Tx.heart shot![:-][]

Quick Reply: shot placement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.