Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

question for you excalibur dudes

Old 01-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Default question for you excalibur dudes

I wanted to know from you guys if the excal. is worth the price. Now, I'm compairing it to what I have now, which is a Horton "______". Sorry, I don't know the make. I bought it from Sportsman's Guide. I got on the Horton Website and they didn't show it. It looks like they took the Yukon stock and mounted fiberglass recurve limbs to it. I'm very happy with it, but I was wondering if when I get some $, it would be worth it to upgrade to an Excal. Vixen. I like the 150# which is what I have now. My crossbow is supposed to be about the same speed (I haven't shot it through a chrono.) as the Vixen and the mass weight is the same. The only advantage I can think of is the trigger might be smoother. I've never shot an Excalibur so what do you guys think? Are there other advantages to having an Excalibur crossbow? Sorry I got long winded.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: question for you excalibur dudes

I am picky on fit and finish, that was my first criteria for a bow, it led me to Excal.. Every Google search I did on what people think about the same question you have asked led me right back to the same bow..
I think the things are under priced, I got to hold a Stryker today, felt OK, but very awkward compared to my Excal at half the price.
I Think in a world where it is difficult to get what you pay for the Excalibur line up is worth every cent. Another thing to consider is the way they back it up, in all the hours of research I found nothing about people not happy with their purchase. Excaliburs customer service is world class.
I say go for it.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a tough call. You pretty well are going to have to decide that one for yourself. My question would be how much are you going to use it? If you just hunt deer and pretty well leave it sit in the off season is one thing, if you like "buring arrows" that's another. Last time I looked Vixens were $285, Phoenix $349, Exocet $399 on bowhunterssuperstore. I'm not as big a fan of the Vixen as some/most of the other Excal guys, I like my Phoenix much more than my buddies Vixen, and my other buddies Ecet better than my Phoenix, lol. It would be great if you could shoot a few Excals and then make your mind up.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

grndhntr that would depend on what you want in a bow. If you want a crossbow that is dependable, durable, accurate, and yet simple enough that you can maintain it yourself, if so ....... then they are welll worth purchasing.

You can't beat it's accuracy, you might be able to match it, but not beat it. You do not have to fork out maintaince costs on cables or even replacing strings (paying to replace). The best example I can give you is that from a person eperiance. I have used an Exccalibur product for over 24 years with only very minor product problem. This is with just ONE bow. It was a single limb Relayer and the single bolt that holds the limb onto the stock broke and I just replace it and started to shoot again. I had a scope fail, and in the process of finding out if it was the scope, Excalibur contacted me to send them my scope and they replaced it. This was 20 years after I purchased it and they knew that.

Excalibur has the best customer service that you will ever find. You might find some that will match it, but not ever surpass it.

Again, over 24 years with the same bow, just as accurate as when I purchased it and as dependable. I guess that says alot EH!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Grndhuntr, are you just going to hunt with it and how many shots per year will you take?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

can't say. what is right for one may not be right for another.....that's why there is more than one manufacturer of xbows. i have the exocet.....it's everything i could ask for in a bow and well worth the price.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I will probably keep using mine until I break it or something and then plan on getting an Excalibur to replace it, unless I just come into some money and just can't think of anything else to do with it. Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its hard to add anymore good info, i like mine(love it actually)! light weight, easy to change strings out, great trigger, well built, fantastic warranty, accuracy will shoot with any out there! Price is hard to beat fer what you get!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:23 AM

When you say is it worth the price? IMO there is not much difference in price. If you are comparing it to a entry level Horton then there is a difference in price but if you want to compare apples to apples on the CB then you will need to get a higher end Horton and then the prices are the same. The battle that I am facing as a Horton lover is several problems. I bought a new supermax last year, Horton's top of the line for that year and I love it. But I am bound by a shop with a bow press if I want to service my string. I hate being at the mercy of a shop and owner. With a Excal you can do it from home. Second, ever since I held a Excal at a shop, when I pick up my supermax I feel like I just picked up a boat anchor in comparison to weight. It is those two things that drive me nuts about my Horton when I think of a Excal. If you get a higher end Horton and do not shoot much, which will mean less service on your bow, then you may not have problems with needing service. By going to a Excal I know I will not gain accuracy, since I feel I already have it. But it is the Independence and lighter weight that I am desiring when looking at them. So in short, if you are comparing apples to apples, there is no price difference IMO. Excal has no "range" of bows, they are all top notch tools for killing deer, only small differences in the models. Horton is sucked into the mass produce makem cheep wal-mart plan so they have to make "lower" end bows to sell for the guy that only sees a price and not performance. Hope thats not confusing but that is whatI think on comparing prices, it has to be compared to the same product quality.