Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Weight

Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow Weight

Well Dan, I will concede that if one is hunting small game and deer then yes the Varizone. But for deer hunting the Varizone leaves much to be desireable. As a pure deer or any big game hunting scope no it is not considered desireable. Well ok, if you cannot afford a "better scope" then fine but the game we hunt deserves the best we can afford. While I am not nearly rich (or close to that), I will and do spend my money on optics first.
All it takes is some homework and some desire to do thing right and one can use any good rifle scope and do it right. Yes if you are optically deficient then yes the Varizone would save your butt. But you could always buy a tape measure and do some research on drop of your arrow.
Bottom line, if anyone has been on the Excal forum then they've seen a number of people have problems with the Varizone. That is one specific scope.
I guess in the end its a cheap (dollar wise) scope and you get what you pay for.
Yes we will agree to disagree Dan and you don't stink!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Any comments on the Simmons Crossbow Scope?

Edit: I know this is off topic, but asked anyway!
Works great on the Horton Steelforce, lol. Reb, they ain't but two decent xbow scopes on the market, The V-zone and the 10 pt lit reticule Pro-View. If a guy is just going to hunt deer, keep his ranges reasonable, [35 yds or less] either will work, advantage to Pro-view. However, if ya got yotes, turkeys, hogs, rabbits, squirrels, ect. that you might get a shot at after sitting in a stand for 4 hrs, and that turkey or yote is 45 yds away, the V-zone is hard to beat, if ya did your prep work. Ya jist hold the 40 and 50 to bracket the target, ya made meat! The Pro-view works great on deer size targets at one of three ranges, depending on your bow and arrows fps. It's gonna work alot better on 10 pts 300 fps stuff, [or anyone elses]but not as well as a V-zone will work on a Vixen [286 fps at best, or an Emax at 350 fps] W/ those speeds, you will still be dead nuts at three ranges, which you will have to figure out and live w/ while the V-zone allows you to be dead nuts at 10,20,30,40,50, regardless of fps. Most xbowers just hunt deer, in which case the Pro-view will work great. The tweakers will opt for the V-zone, lol.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

The tweakers will opt for the V-zone, lol.
Thanks Dan!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I think that someone means geekers! LOL!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

For a croaabow, I do not understand why some want to purchase expensive top quality scopes. These top quality scopes give their best advantages in clearity for the greater distances (150-300 yards). Since the crossbow is basicly limited to 30-40 yards, the cheaper quality scopes will do the job as good as the more expensive scopes.

In my opinion, the cheaper quality scopes are clear enough to pinpoint which hair you want to cut (in normal range) with the hunting head, there is not need to pay more for the scope then the bow. Actually, if it was not the reason of keping all my weapons the same (scoped) and the extra light gathering abilities, I would probually go witout the scope as they are not really needed for close ranges of the bows.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Varizone its ok fer CB's i have learned its not my cup of tea! I have a rifle scope on it and i am happy with it!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

I have a Varizone its ok fer CB's i have learned its not my cup of tea! I have a rifle scope on it and i am happy with it!
Smokey, this is the one I was asking about?

MC Sports - Simmons Outdoor: Simmons Crossbow Scope-Choose Size

Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Well Dan, I will concede that if one is hunting small game and deer then yes the Varizone. But for deer hunting the Varizone leaves much to be desireable. As a pure deer or any big game hunting scope no it is not considered desireable. Well ok, if you cannot afford a "better scope" then fine but the game we hunt deserves the best we can afford. While I am not nearly rich (or close to that), I will and do spend my money on optics first.
All it takes is some homework and some desire to do thing right and one can use any good rifle scope and do it right. Yes if you are optically deficient then yes the Varizone would save your butt. But you could always buy a tape measure and do some research on drop of your arrow.
Bottom line, if anyone has been on the Excal forum then they've seen a number of people have problems with the Varizone. That is one specific scope.
I guess in the end its a cheap (dollar wise) scope and you get what you pay for.
Yes we will agree to disagree Dan and you don't stink!
LOL, This is another one of them deals where there's no right or wrong, just personal preference.I can see where one would get a certain amount of saisfaction using a single aim point scope and getting the drop just right for any given range to make a clean shot of it. I just prefer my V-zone, as I never know what size target I might get a shot at, and I don't trust my memory as far as all the trajectories go w/ different ranges. I like sniping, lol. Knocking a squirrel in the head at 39 or so yds is success to me, not to imply you can't do that either. Btw, I've missed a few, still cost about $10, lol. And I've read of a few problems w/ them on Excals forum, but like Bill says, anything made by humans.... just send em back and get a new one. There must be a gazillion of them out there so a few problems is to be expected. I'm hoping the new ones w/ lit reticules are put together a little stouter, but must say I've not had any problems w/ the 3 of them I got. We gotta have a 3-D shoot off some day!! I'll shoot left handed, lol. Don't guess you would want to hear about my 3 BSA's I got on my rifles??? lol. Got a 3x12AO on my CZ .22, shoot other guys bullet holes at 20-25 yds. 6x18 "Sweet 17" on .17 hmr shootdimes at 100 yds, head shoot squirrels to 150all day long on a calm day, 6x24 AO mil dot on .223, one holer at 100 yds. Got less in all three of them than the Leupold xbow scope I just got, but the Leupolds optics are WAY nicer. I had some of the high class stuff years back on varmit rifles, kinda favored the Unertyls, but had Lymans and Redfields, not that they are high class anymore, lol. Ya gotta remember, I got no wife or job, so I can go whenever I want to hunt, lol, when the light goes, so do I, there's always tomorrow for me, no schedules, no plans, lol.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You're right Dan there is no right or wrong.
GT, have you ever hunted on a cloudy day under a tall tree canopy? Could you really see much with your eyes? Have you tried to shoot something at sunset let along half an hour after sunset? I've had to quit hunting in the best half an hour and even before that way too often. Thats why the quality scopes on my xbows.
BTW the better quality scope aren't just about distance, they are for low light. The lens coating and other stuff allows for up to 99% of light transmission. You pay more for light management like in the Leupolds which do allow for more clear vision at distance as well.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Dnk!! Forgot to put in my previous post about the 3-D match and me shooting left handed, lol, it's cause I'm left handed, lol, NOT to give you a spot. Let's do it!! Where's half way between you and Arkansas??

Quick Reply: Crossbow Weight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.