Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Serving Jig

Old 01-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Serving Jig

Decidied to start reserving my own strings, so needed something to stretch the strings. Built this jewel in about 1/2 hr. lol. Now my problem is two fold. I don't know how tight to stretch them, or how much tension to put on the serving spool. My first attempt [buddies string, lol] when I got to the end where you serve over a loop to pull bitter end back thru, I had the serving so tight I broke the loop pulling, now I have no idea where the end actually is, lol. Here ya go:

Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Serving Jig

Here's a better view of the right end. The distance between the two uprights is 45".

Old 01-17-2007, 03:34 PM

Looks good Dan! I know when the guy reserves mine he has to pull about as hard as he can to pull the loop back under. Buy this I mean he braces his feet and takes a lean posture and such. But I have never seen him pull hard enough to break the serving. I would say if you pulled it half way under it should be good since that is what it seems like he does, but then his tail is left and just nips it off. But then again you should have a spool of the stuff just take it off and try it again! The jig looks good!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

That thing makes mine look like a toy... I guess I had better get some bigger wood..lol
Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

nice jig. let me ask.....what type of thread and thickness do you use on xbow servings. used to use mono on vertical bows.....but not sure what to use on xbow strings.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shewe

nice jig. let me ask.....what type of thread and thickness do you use on xbow servings. used to use mono on vertical bows.....but not sure what to use on xbow strings.
Dunno, lol. called Danny Miller up and he sent me a serving spool loaded to go. I'm sure I got good stuff, just because of the source.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Dan, have you figured out what kind of tension is required on the string during the serving process?
I have an old fish weighing scale that I may mount to one end to monitor the tightness for consistency..
Old 01-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

Dan, have you figured out what kind of tension is required on the string during the serving process?
I have an old fish weighing scale that I may mount to one end to monitor the tightness for consistency..
No, haven't figured out the tension thing yet. It's adjusted by a bolt and wing nut which goes thru the center of the spool. I don't see any way to use your idea. The spool holder has two bars that the string wraps around, otherwise it would be just like a spool of thread that you keep "rolling" around your bow's string. I think I figured it out. The factory serving seems to be about 4" [guesstimate] wide. The rail is about 1 1/2" wide, so the start and finish of serving is kinda immaterial. I'm gonna wind the next one as tight as I can, and then when I get to other end and go to serve over then loop that pulls the bitter end back under the last 1/2" or so, I'm gonna loosen the tension some. Dnk oughta be along w/ some tips soon, lol Just dawned on me, you might be asking about the tension on the bow string vs serving string. I figure all the tension I can get on bow string is a plus, as the vert crowd reservers their on the bow while strung.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

lol.. I meant the tension on the string, not the serving.. A scale in place of one of your threaded hooks on your jig, not the spool..

My serving string is #150, .036Dia. Made by Brownell & Co.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Decidied to start reserving my own strings, so needed something to stretch the strings. Built this jewel in about 1/2 hr. lol. Now my problem is two fold. I don't know how tight to stretch them, or how much tension to put on the serving spool. My first attempt [buddies string, lol] when I got to the end where you serve over a loop to pull bitter end back thru, I had the serving so tight I broke the loop pulling, now I have no idea where the end actually is, lol. Here ya go:

Awshucks theres a better way, when you get to the end you pull off about 8 inches of serving, go out on the string about 6 inches and wind
about 10 loose loops the opposite way you wound serving, now hold the serving on the spool next to the serving and start wrapping both, as you do this you will unwind the loops you put on when they are all gone you pull on the spool.This method lets you wrap the end tighter and you are only pulling one end thru. Put a string on your jig and practice untill you get it right hope this helps.
If its on a excalibur i twist the string a few rounds more than it needs
that makes it smaller and when you take them out it tightens the serving.
I wind the serving as tight as I can.

Martinfaw

Quick Reply: Serving Jig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.