Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Serving Jig

Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Serving Jig

If you don't like Marinfaw's method which is the traditional method try this. Get a braided serving, I use a crown serving which is slippery and strong. I use a soft bow string wax to wax the loop and the string where the loop is going and then use six turns over top of the loop then cut off just enough. I've found that its better if you put only one third of the tag end through the pulling loop and then yank it through. Then I use brake clean or alcohol to remove some of the wax then use liquid crazy glue to where the tag end goes under the serving.
I use both the brownell and bcy crossbow serving. The bcy is called kite cord. You don't have to use these serving material. I've found that others at least .026 or thicker works ok (but not as good) and I suspect that you can lighten the string if you use a thinner and lighter serving for more speed. On a vert bow it makes a good difference when you lighten the string. I could only imagine that its easier on the limbs as well.
One thing to keep in mind. Serve the string so that when you twist the string to adjust brace height you tighten the serving.
Oh yeah, you just have to hold on to the string with your hands to stop the string from twisting like crazy when you wrap your serving.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

If you don't like Marinfaw's method which is the traditional method try this. Get a braided serving, I use a crown serving which is slippery and strong. I use a soft bow string wax to wax the loop and the string where the loop is going and then use six turns over top of the loop then cut off just enough. I've found that its better if you put only one third of the tag end through the pulling loop and then yank it through. Then I use brake clean or alcohol to remove some of the wax then use liquid crazy glue to where the tag end goes under the serving.
I use both the brownell and bcy crossbow serving. The bcy is called kite cord. You don't have to use these serving material. I've found that others at least .026 or thicker works ok (but not as good) and I suspect that you can lighten the string if you use a thinner and lighter serving for more speed. On a vert bow it makes a good difference when you lighten the string. I could only imagine that its easier on the limbs as well.
One thing to keep in mind. Serve the string so that when you twist the string to adjust brace height you tighten the serving.
Oh yeah, you just have to hold on to the string with your hands to stop the string from twisting like crazy when you wrap your serving.
I see! [says the blind man] lol. Can't picture Martinfaws way, though I thank him for his time. Good tips, Don. I redid the one serving already and still had to pull real hard on the ends of the loop, but bet less matl and lube will make it a breeze. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Here you go you silly man!

http://www.applearchery.com/stringserving.htm
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys, the carpenter made a serving string jig out of wood. Guess what I made mine from?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Ok guys, the carpenter made a serving string jig out of wood. Guess what I made mine from?
Dang! You have Gussets on thatjig to stretch Ship Cable!

Looks good Don!!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Here you go you silly man!

http://www.applearchery.com/stringserving.htm

That lookslikehow I do itto serve Eyes on Fishing Rods!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job, except for the lack of paint, lol. Candy Apple Red would be nice!!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Mine is a made from assorted stuff.. If I do manage to bend it I will try again with something stronger, so far so good though..

Old 01-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Looking good David. Why are the brackets turned the other way.
It would save space.
Turn buckle is a great idea.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

How did I miss that?? It would also be stronger the other way. I will turn them around later on, the 2X4 has already begun to twist anyways.
Thanks..

Looking good David. Why are the brackets turned the other way.
It would save space.
Turn buckle is a great idea.

Quick Reply: Serving Jig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.