Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

Old 01-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Default New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

I asked this at the end of last winter, but really can't remember what everybody's response was and since we have alot of new folks here I figured I would give it another go around.

Was just curious if any of you guys supplement feed your heard in the winter and spring, or if you bait in the fall. I call what I do supplement feed and not baiting since I live in NW Ohio. Around here it is all corn, beans, and wheat too. I set up a gravity feed stump feeder. The deer hit it real hard in the spring and early summer months as well. The deer would empty it as fastas I could fill it, along withthe coons too. But as I thought would happen, when the corn put on its ears and the beans made there pods theydid not need my feeder at all. IN fact I filled itlate September and did not fill it again until November, and I think most of that was coons and birds. I said supplemental feeding is what I do cause I feel it has no advantage in the fall and I only do it for the deer in my area. I do not feel that what I do is baiting since I never even seen a deer at the feeder during the season.

So this month I am getting ready to set up a nice Moultrie feeder that will dispense with a timer and keep the feed dry, which is a problem I had with the stump feeder. I plan on using a product called deer chow that Reb recommended to me and also putting in soybeans. I read that soybeans have between 40 and 50% protein in them. But you have to mix it with something since they will not eat soybeans by themselves at first.

So lets here it, do any of you do things for the heard in the off season?

Old 01-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

Caution Required When Feeding Deer in the Northern United States
Research in the northern United States has shown that rapid changes in the winter diet of nutritionally stressed white–tailed deer can actually kill them. This is particularly a problem with high–protein feeds which the bacteria in the deer’s rumen (stomach) cannot process following prolonged periods of nutritional stress. Therefore, deer can die with a full stomach of high quality feed. This situation can generally be avoided by beginning the feeding program during late fall or early winter before the deer become severely stressed and lose the ability to utilize high protein feeds. Regardless, rapid changes in the winter diet of deer should be avoided.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I use my moultrie corn feeder all winter and summer and only turn it off during the bow and gun seasons. I also put out mineral blocks in the spring and summer months and plant a small one acre corn field in front of my stand. I'm alsolooking for a cheap atv disk to pull behind my Honda to plant some oats in the old road beds this august or september for the fall and winter months. I believe you just can't do enough food plot planting. It's expensive and time consuming as well. The automatic corn or feed feeders are the easiest way to get out of a lot of work but deer like to browse on something and it keeps them in place longer too for a shot. Sooo, I don't know what's best. I try different things each year and so far I've been lucky and gotten nice bucks each year. But if I hadn't gotten any bucks at all, I still would plant food plots and feed with the feeder and use my game camera. (camera stays on year round. I want to know when they drop their racks and watch them grow the new ones. The camera makes it all worth it. Can't wait to see each week's pics.)
BBO
Old 01-13-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Caution Required When Feeding Deer in the Northern United States
Research in the northern United States has shown that rapid changes in the winter diet of nutritionally stressed white–tailed deer can actually kill them. This is particularly a problem with high–protein feeds which the bacteria in the deer’s rumen (stomach) cannot process following prolonged periods of nutritional stress. Therefore, deer can die with a full stomach of high quality feed. This situation can generally be avoided by beginning the feeding program during late fall or early winter before the deer become severely stressed and lose the ability to utilize high protein feeds. Regardless, rapid changes in the winter diet of deer should be avoided.
Reb, do you think this is more so for the areas that have alot of snow and real harsh winters like Maine, Vermont and the other states in that area. Then the areas like Montana, Wisconsin, Idaho and them real cold harsh winters where the deer live off tree buds and pine needles for there main food? Around here I wonder if this is the case since I have yet to have any snow on the ground and our winters are not real hard compared to others. Lots of corn still in the fields that they are eating.

BuddyBo, I to tried food plots, but they just did not seem to get used much at all if any by the deer. I planted some whitetail institute stuff and it grew nice the first year and the farmer told me he never really seen much in it, and I only seen one deer in it the entire season. Just to much fall feed in my area I think.

I forgot to mention the mineral blocks as well. I put out trace mineral blocks and a cow block too. The trace mineral has enough salt in it, like 95% I think so that is why I do not put out a salt lick. And then the cow block that I buy has alot of calcium and phosphorus in it along with other things too. The deer really tear them up in the early spring and summer!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have got one that you put in the ground and refresh every six months
wife is getting it out of her puter,will send as soon as I get it from her.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Research in the northern United States has shown that rapid changes in the winter diet of nutritionally stressed white–tailed deer can actually kill them. This is particularly a problem with high–protein feeds which the bacteria in the deer’s rumen (stomach) cannot process following prolonged periods of nutritional stress.
Reb, do you think this is more so for the areas that have alot of snow and real harsh winters like Maine, Vermont and the other states in that area.
Yep! that's what it is implying!

I also mix Soybean Meal and Salt (80 to 20%) so they will not consume it to fast!

80% Soybean Meal to 20% Salt!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like here in Ar. they quit hitting the feeders when the acorns drop. I've read that wet corn can harm them and my pvc type feeders are bad for holding wet grain. Food plots are a problem near where I live as there are more rocks than dirt. I did read of what sounds like a great idea for a grain feeder on Excal forum. You take a 5 gal plastic bucket w/ lid, drillan inch and a halfhole in bottom, take 15" by 1"wood dowel and drill hole 2-3" down from one end to put a couple of nails in. You put dowel thru hole in bucket w/ a little peanut butter on the end, supposedly they learn to nudge the stick to get the grain to fall. Keeps the coons and birds out of it and feed stays dry. I'm going to try a couple, as going and clearing pvc types every time it rains is a major pain and I feel disrupts the deer.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:48 PM

i feed year around when i am not on the road working. Do not consider this baiting. We never shoot a deer near the feeder or in a food plot. There is no acorn crop this yearand supplemental feeding is important.We fill the feeder with apple flavored corn-the deer love it.The quail and squirrels eat it too.We also have plots of wheat, turnips and winter oats that are grazed heavily by the deer-not enough turnips. The grass on the place is big bluestem-this stuff gets five feet tall. We keep a couple of isolated acres ofit brushogged so it will stay green and tender for deer browse. It turns brown in the fall.

Our place underwent an uncontrolled burn on 17 November, 2005 when a wildfire raced over it. It killed a lot of mature oak trees in places. Now much ofit is coming up in oak brush, sumac, wild plumand green briars.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have used this type for three years now work great and keep critters
out of them,am going to Remington feeders following Reb advise.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Goats are the same as Deer! They Eat and Browse alike. I have hadgoats since (1970-2004).

Quick Reply: New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.