Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

Old 01-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

I posted this in the managment forum, but would like you guys to have at it too...

I have heard many people on this site, and other places and even hunting shows say deer do not get a whole lot out of corn, and have heard some people say they do not fully digest it just like us.
If they have no other food and just eat corn, apparently they would bloat to death caused by the gas that is produced by the bacteria in their complicated digestive systems. If they eat nothing but whole corn then much of the corn will end up not digested or not digested completely, which would mean lower nutrition. Deer's stomachs specialize in breaking down cellulose. It is difficult to explain, the food only spends so much time in the digestive system. If the food is not easily digested (as opposed to browse or grasses) then the corn will not be completely digested. It may or not look like corn when it comes out but the corn did not spend enough time where it could be broken down(the small intestines I believe). Our stomachs suck at breaking down cellulose so thats why you see what you see. The deer does it better than us but the corns covering prevents the immediate break down. The corn kernnel just like other seeds evolved into an object that resisted digestion in animals like bird. Birds have a very hight ascidity content as well as gravel to try to break down whatever comes down the chute but the seed is resistant therefore get broadcasted around the continent. The deer has stomach chemistry that gets past the corn's protective covering but cannot do it fast enough to be utilized soon enough to be fully digested.
I just made two statements there so I will get the second one out first. People say they do not fully digest it. Is this true or a myth? Like, not to sound disgusting, but when I eat corn, like many other people, 20 hours later, I am reminded of it. Do people say that they do not fully digest it because we do not? And I made the comments about deer poo, cause I have never seen whole corn or pieces of it in deer poo. I know its in there, but by the looks of it they did digest it, right?

Now for the first one. They say deer do not get much out of corn? Is this true? I get the impression that corn is a bad food for deer and that it takes alot of work for them to eat and in the long run they do not gain much from it is the opinion I get. I would think that deer would have to benefit from it when they are running out of food and it is available for them. I just here alot of people say they use corn, and then I here people say it does little for the deer.
Now the information is from observation, 3 yrs of forestry, information given to me from a horse vet and what I've read. It isn't written in stone its just what comes up when a search is done in this 53 yr old parking lot called my memory. But I am sure I am correct in what I say.
Deer are ungulates the same as cattle so you guys that studied animal husbandry what do you have to say?
Mast from a white oak is a high protein food but not the main food. Their main food is still browse (twigs and buds). Corn, just like apples are just treats and candy. Neither as well as may other baits are necessary for their survival. If they run out of deciduous browse as their main food they go to other food sources that are lower in protien like cedar. One of the reasons why yarding areas have lots of cedars.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Deer are ungulates the same as cattle so you guys that studied animal husbandry what do you have to say?
Ungulates are hoofed mammals. Hooves are enlarged claws on the toes. Ungulates are digitigrade; they walk on their toes. The word ungulate is from the Latin word unguis, which means nail, claw, or hoof.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Ungulates are hoofed mammals. Hooves are enlarged claws on the toes. Ungulates are digitigrade; they walk on their toes. The word ungulate is from the Latin word unguis, which means nail, claw, or hoof.
What separates them from other hooved mammals is their digestive systems. The mammals that do not walk on their toes are bear, humans and coons. The walk heel down first. I forget what they are called, does anyone remember?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

If the deer in my hunting area was just eating corn and nothing else, I'd stop feeding them the corn. BUT, they eat other stuff and the corn is just something different they like, like apples or persimmons. Let's face it, corn is the easiest thing to bait deer into our areas. Unlike planted food plots that require more money and a lot of hard work. Corn is EASIER!!!! Period! LOL
BBO
Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dnk

What separates them from other hooved mammals is their digestive systems.
True! The Cow has 4 Stomachs, the Deer don't. The Cow has a palate, the Deer don't. The Cows are Grazers and the Deer are Browzers. Cow Feed contains Urea and will eventually kill Deer and Goats.

The mammals that do not walk on their toes are bear, humans and coons. The walk heel down first. I forget what they are called, does anyone remember?
I beleve they are called Carnivores.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

If the deer in my hunting area was just eating corn and nothing else, I'd stop feeding them the corn. BUT, they eat other stuff and the corn is just something different they like, like apples or persimmons. Let's face it, corn is the easiest thing to bait deer into our areas. Unlike planted food plots that require more money and a lot of hard work. Corn is EASIER!!!! Period! LOL
BBO
You're right Buddy, they are just Deer Treats!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

They are refered to as plantigrades!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Here you go my buddy Jason, I hope this helps! Its acuatlly pretty interesting.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/deer2.pdf
http://www.cibolo.org/learn/documents/deer05.htm
http://www.montana.edu/wwwpb/reso/toughlov.html
http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/lgmams/feeddeer.htm
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the links Don! I like how they say mix corn and oats together. I put oats with corn in my feeder once last spring and they ate that up fast. But it was so fast I thought the birdsdid it. Oats are not that expensiveand are available in my area. I think when I put the new one up I am going to do a mix of corn, oats, and deer chow. The deer chow comes in a water resistant pellet so that is why I want that compared to goat chow.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

I think when I put the new one up I am going to do a mix of corn, oats, and deer chow. The deer chow comes in a water resistant pellet so that is why I want that compared to goat chow.
Jason, to each his own, but the Deer Chow is a complete balance for deer and does not need a supplement. You're spending the extra cash when you don't need to.

Deer need 3.5 pounds of good browse daily. If you aren't feeding this much for each one, some will be undernourished. Even if you provide this much food per deer per day on average, some deer will eat five pounds leaving other deer with too little. So some deer will starve.

Quick Reply: New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.