Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

Old 01-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

No Reb never tried that stuff from Wally World a friend of mine from up
north who keeps product out for his deer where he hunts shared this
with me,Horntagger is a great guy and has given me tips before.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Sorry for rambling Jason. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. It opened up a bit of memory from my forestry days.
No need to say sorry Don, you are doing exactly what I want! I know there is great guys on here that have many more years of knowledge then me and that is what I want talked about. I already learned about a product from Reb that I never new existed, had not been for him and this site I would never know. Then from another link in the management forum, I learned about soybeans. I do not think I have the problem of deer leaving my area and making long migrations to other areas. The main thing I seen affect deer is the water supply. The one woods I hunt has no water, and when it gets cold and late into winter they pack up and move, but by move I mean maybe only one or two miles at the most. The main drive for me wanting to feed is deer health for better racks, and more deer. When I was at the DNR last year checking in my buck I asked them and what I was told was that next to genetics, how starved they are from winter and how soon they recover is what determines how much food they can turn into a rack. So I would like to help grow bigger racks. Then the second part is I would like to have more deer in my area for people like my dad and nephew to see and hunt.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I would rather have a sister in a brothel than a brother with anything besides a Horton in his hands!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just plant food plots, not much snow or real cold weather. I use 2 clovers, purple top turnips, rye grass and brassicas.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

I just plant food plots, not much snow or real cold weather. I use 2 clovers, purple top turnips, rye grass and brassicas.
Perfect!
Old 01-13-2007, 06:01 PM

I need to plant the turnips! I hear them mentioned to much! When do you plant them? In the spring or closer to the fall so they last longer into the winter?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

I need to plant the turnips! I hear them mentioned to much! When do you plant them? In the spring or closer to the fall so they last longer into the winter?
How to grow turnips

VEGETABLESin Ohio!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 PM

I posted this in the managment forum, but would like you guys to have at it too...

I have heard many people on this site, and other places and even hunting shows say deer do not get a whole lot out of corn, and have heard some people say they do not fully digest it just like us.I just made two statements there so I will get the second one out first. People say they do not fully digest it. Is this true or a myth? Like, not to sound disgusting, but when I eat corn, like many other people, 20 hours later, I am reminded of it. Do people say that they do not fully digest it because we do not? And I made the comments about deer poo, cause I have never seen whole corn or pieces of it in deer poo. I know its in there, but by the looks of it they did digest it, right?

Now for the first one. They say deer do not get much out of corn? Is this true? I get the impression that corn is a bad food for deer and that it takes alot of work for them to eat and in the long run they do not gain much from it is the opinion I get. I would think that deer would have to benefit from it when they are running out of food and it is available for them. I just here alot of people say they use corn, and then I here people say it does little for the deer.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:08 AM

"I would think that deer would have to benefit from it when they are running out of food and it is available for them."

Yes they do benefit from corn especialy when the acorn crop fails. 05 and most of 06 were very dry years in OK. The acorn crop did fail in much of OKin 06.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

I have heard many people on this site, and other places and even hunting shows say deer do not get a whole lot out of corn, and have heard some people say they do not fully digest it just like us.
Jason, read this and see what it says? Notice where it mentions Sheep and Goat pellets.

Corn is NOT for Deer

Quick Reply: New Topic... Supplemental feeding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.