Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

packing away crossbow

Old 01-14-2007, 06:51 PM

Default RE: packing away crossbow

ORIGINAL: grappledad

I have a question, maybe I'm not reading thie right. Are you trying to de-cock your bow with an arrow on it?The Excaliber sight has a video showing how to decock a crossbow safely.
No im not trying to decock my crossbow with an arrow in it still, unless i shoot it at my target. what i do sometimes is take the arrow out, then put my foot in the foot rest and hold onto th string and slowly lower it. actually i cant really do this since i dont want the same thing that happend last time (didnt pull hard enough and pretty much shot my hand with the string) my hunting buddy usually holds the string while i pull the trigger and he slowly lowers it. (with no arrow in it lol, the arrow would go thorugh our feet)
Old 01-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mike.
My hunting buddy usually holds onto the string while i shoot and he lowers it,
That must be quite a sight, I bet you don't do that in public! LOL!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:39 PM

lol why? hes like 25 years older then me, all he does it holds the string, i pull the trigger and he slowly lowers it. i can probably do it one handed, but 2 years ago when i first tried i didnt pull hard enough. I can probably do it now but i dont want to try again and possibly crack the limbs
Old 01-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Just the thought of two guys bunched around a small thing like a crossbow would look funny.
If I use my hands to decock I grab with both hands and pull with the same energy to cock it. At that time you can use your thumb or index finger to trip the trigger. The only issue I would have with someone handling the string (other than how it looks) is that if the other person isn't carefull the metal finger that holds down the arrow when the xbow is cocked may get damaged. Can you use a rope cocker on your bow? If you can it will enhance your accuracy.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:33 PM

i wouldnt be able to use both hands and also press the trigger with my corssobw since its pretty impossible to reach..
Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

I stick the butt on my stomach, grasp the string with both hands, then pull th trigger with my right thumb and lower the string. At the end of the season I remove the string and hang up my bow.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike: If you have a "T" handle type rope cocker, uncocking is a breeze as long as you use caution. Grappledad gave you some good advice, find the video on Excals site, you only use one hand on cocker handle, and it's alot easier than you would think, not near the force going down as up.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 AM

i cant find the video and can you link me to that uncoknig aid thing on a different site? i dont exactly know what it is
Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, they are called rope cockers and are everywhere, have two handles that look like what you pull to start a lawnmower. Maybe one of the Bnett guys uses one and will know if it will work on your Quad. Horton had one w/ loops for your wrists vs handles, that type won't work to uncock the bow. How are you cocking yours now??
Old 01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a rope cocker on my Quad 400 until she got me the cranker,they
work real good1

Quick Reply: packing away crossbow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.