Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Turkey hunting

Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey hunting

You haven't revealed you strategy Don..

Sooo whatchagonna wack it with this year?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

LOL, well one with either the xbow or comound and the other with a shotgun. The shotgun will be a spot and stalk (that is a real blast!) and the bow might be as well. I've taken them from a blind but spot and stalk is soooooo much more fun! We use really great high end binos and you can ID a bird's beard from a couple of miles away. Then the fun begins! There is a 3 second rule we use. Once the bird see's you, you have 3 seconds to take the bird. Late season is the best time for spot and stalk. You get a fair amount of birds not taken, not even shot at. But if you get real close you still get the rush!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Allowed 4 birds in Tn. will try aleast one with X-bow...
Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Has any body noticed (I'm giving out trade secrets, LOL!) that if a turkey runs into a wire fence it won't fly over it? Funny thing about antelope as well, they can easily jump the height of a fence but would rather run a hundred miles along a fence or until it can find a spot to go under.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Found this through another forum,
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=659ea61a13
Old 01-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Found this through another forum,
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=659ea61a13
Hey Don, that was Hilarious!Man, I have forwarded to 25 of my buddies!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Where are these guys when the season opens? We were driving to the Outdoor show in PA one year and we see this black blob on the side of the road. We get closer and it's a gobbler all puffed up with a couple of turkey hens and a guinea hen mixed in there too. I do a really bad mouth call and he gobbles in my face from 4 ft away. We just look at each other in disbelief. Then the hens walk off and he follows. Sure he made it on someones wall that spring. Must be some game they play because they sure wise up by April.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ain't gotstid no turkeys around here![&o]
Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 AM

Hey I remember when that happened! Hancock is my county that I live in. That turkey was a real menace for some time on that stretch of road. The sheriff wanted to just have it shot, but then a bunch of people got there panties in a bunch over it. It was always chasing cars on that stretch of road and when ever someone was stopped it would chase them and sometimes go into a chicken fight mode and attack people! The local DNR said it was a pen raised bird and was turned loose and that is why it acted like it did. The whole ordeal lasted about a month or so before they shot it! That road that he was on is about five miles from my house.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jason, How did he taste? lol. Cheap shot, lol. All kidding aside,I had problems last year setting up for turkey. Was using Zwickey "Grapplers" behind 100 gr Slick trick and they were sliding up my shaft onto the vanes.[Emax and Phoenix]After making sure I had the correct size, I found some small "o" rings at hdwe store that solved the problem. I had a pretty big rooster here that had to go, my arrow stayed in him at 20 yds, he never knew what hit him. I discussed this then on Excal forum, most felt it was the inertia doing it.Just a tip if ya need it.