Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Change Your Own String

Old 01-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Change Your Own String

on some but not all compound xbows. 1st off, this will only work on solid limb designs like most of the Hortons I've seen, and will not work on my Paradox or the split limb designs like B-nett Quads. I came up w/ this last spring, showed it to Randy, aka 10 pt and since I can't sell it, lol, i'm giving it away! A guy in Italy that goes by Matthias 72 posted a pic somewhere, but I can't find it. What you do is get two pieces of aluminum long enough to span your limb width, drill a hole in the middle big enough to put a stout cord thru, cock your bow and put the two pieces outside of the slot in limb for wheels. Tighten the string, uncock the bow, gently and carefully, remove and replace your string. you may have timing issues to contend w/ but this will get you by if you are a long way from a press.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Change Your Own String

Great idea!
When you get your bow and the string finishes stretching/settling in mark the cams with a magic marker or better yet scribe a line that references with the string or the limb and that will tell you where to put the cams. It will also let you know before replacing the string if your cam timing is on or off. Don't forget to measure your tiller. On a crossbow I would assume they are eqaul but anyhow measure it and record the measurement for reference.
Dan, I wonder if a Bow Master Press would work?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know much about bow presses, but know you could carry this and a spare string on a trip, just like the recurve guys do. Once you have it set the right length, you just cock the bow and slip it thru the slots for and behind the wheels.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

http://www.prototechind.com/

You can also get brackets to engage split limbs.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like a neat toy, and those red tipped ends are what I was trying to describe in my original post. As for the attatchment for split limbs, I'm gonna build one for my Pdox if it takes forever, signed Stumpy, the one eyed xbower, lol.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's Matthias' post and pic if it will work, lol

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am Post subject:

[hr]

Not all Compund crossbows need a local archery shop to change string:
New Stryker crossbow has a system with a cable "similar" with Excalibur system.
And if you have an Horton crossbow or every kind of others "one limb" crossbows, you can change string easily making a system like this one:

two alluminum (in red) shafts and a string with a correct lenght.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Great Ideal one question will it work as well with a crossbow that has the DFI ??
Old 01-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: htoler

Great Ideal one question will it work as well with a crossbow that has the DFI ??
I don't have any experiance w/ Dry Fire Inhibitors, but would bet a #2 lead pencil scotch taped in place would defeat it, lol. You got one, ever played w/ using a rope cocker to uncock it??
Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 PM

how do you change the string on a quad 400? i might need one soon. mines starting to fray even though i wax it
Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mike.

how do you change the string on a quad 400? i might need one soon. mines starting to fray even though i wax it
Q: What is the pull weight/ length of Barnett’s triggers?

Quick Reply: Change Your Own String

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.