Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

product test thread. Please read.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: product test thread. Please read.

Dnk, would you say that the ASD you mentioned is better than using a dial indicator and the V blocks on a arrow straitener?? Lee
Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Don will give more info, but I think the ASD only trues up the very end or face of your arrow shaft or after you put in your insert it will true it up to a shaft. I do not think it has anything to do with the overall shaft or the arrow being bent or strait. Or are you some how putting the indicator on the end of the shaft where the point screws in getting a measurement?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Jason is correct. The ASD will not idicate or correct any shaft run-out problems.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a photo of the ASD tool, it has two grooves to support the arrow shaft, the shaft slides up to the cutting head to "square" the shaft prior to inserting the nock or insert. The cutting head is reversable, one side is a cutting edge for aluminum, the other seems to be a diamond grit for the carbons. Very basic tool, but worth it weight in gold!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee, since I only shoot carbons, took a defunct arrow straightener, repaired the dial indicator and relocated it to check run out [wobble] on my slick Tricks.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Thats a pretty snazzy looking arrow spinner! So where does the dial indicator read from, the tip?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

Thats a pretty snazzy looking arrow spinner! So where does the dial indicator read from, the tip?
Yep! it's plunger type!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I went through a few years where I bought every tool I laid my eyes on,some have never been used, like a Mitutoyodial indicatorlike that, has a couple elbows in it and a big magnetic block.. It has been hanging on my tool box for years, now I know what to do with it..
Old 02-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Lee, did you get your question answered? Personally I don't use a dial indicator on my arrow spinner. If my broadhead does not spin true then I will reface the insert. If it still has visual run-out I try the broadhead on a known good shaft. If the second combo runs well I toss the first one. I have no use for straightening or a dial indicator. There other things more important than the run out I cannot see that has to be measured by a dial gauge.
Here is a good one that I bet no one pays attention to! Well maybe I shouldn't give you guys an edge over me............well maybe at a later date! (I've been thinking about offering this to you guys but since Squirrel is leaving, I just don't know! LOL)
Old 02-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I have no use for straightening or a dial indicator. There other things more important than the run out I cannot see that has to be measured by a dial gauge.
Don, do you feel the same way about Push Rod's on engine building or loading Rifle Cartridges?.....I guess you can use a Machinist Square andeye ball-it!, but is that being proficient? I rather use a Machinist "V" Block and a Plunger Dial Indicator!........hey to eachhis own!

Quick Reply: product test thread. Please read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.