Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Fletching, nocks and bolts in general

Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching, nocks and bolts in general

"They" have been looking for something for over 2000 years now, lol. Better add a serving tool to the list, lol. Be thankful you didn't get an Emax, you wouldn't have got this far w/ that serving. I schmoo mine w/ wax and thumb til I get nervous and then change them out, but I can get strings for $9 or $10 depending on if it's FFF or Excel. Dnk offered to do mine too, but figure two posts ain't worth it. If you want, I can get you a bunch and smuggle them in, lol. since you are so close, take it to the factory and whine a little, maybe they will give you a couple or at least a free hat, lol.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

David, you should not shoot that anymore. If you do I am sure you will damage your string. Send it to me. Go to my website and mail it to my business address and I'' geterdone!
Don
Old 12-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Don! I sent a PM prior to reading this thread, so feel free to disregard it.
I will swap out the strings this afternoon, and mail it off tomorrow. Again, that is a very generous offer. The guy in the Bow shop said I was lucky to get 150 shots out of a string to begin with, I would never have thought that.

I ended up buying a pile of stuff today, but a Fletcher wasn't one of them, I had a hard time keeping the sales guys attention long enough to make my decision between the different models. I did manage to get a big pile of alum/brass nocks and inserts though..
Old 12-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

[The guy in the Bow shop said I was lucky to get 150 shots out of a string to begin with
[/quote]
Hmmmmm sounds like a challenge to me!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Fair enough, that I will start counting.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

Fair enough, that I will start counting.
I meant the string that you send me for reserving. You'll find that if you tighten up the serving wraps they will last longer. When you string the bow what you do is to put your thumb nail in between the servings just outside of the rail and force the serving tigher and then lay in a couple of rows of serving you will have stopped the string claws from digging in. Its hard to explain but easy to do. Are you ever in Toronto?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:33 AM

Let me ask you fellas something.... maybe I'm out in left field with this....dunno.
Would a new string benifit by having it's serving coated with fingernail polish....maybe two or 3 coats as they will want to soak into the serving , at least the first one will. This will be an ever so fine coating.....then apply your wax coating to it? OR how about this plastic/ rubber stuff they have out to coat tool handles .....I think it's called "plastic coat".
Yes I understand these coatings will eventually show wear......but simply peel or scrape off and then re apply......?????
Maybe someone else might have some ideas of this pre coating of the serving before use.....gotta be a way of extending the life of a serving....no?
BOB
Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Bob, I don't do that but I guess it would extend the life. Nail polish sound good to me. I think that tightening up the serving is the best. Since I started putting a serving or two in between wraps of serving I no longer get any damaged servings. BTW you can use tooth floss between serving wraps.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

I meant the one I sent you..
I can see how a little more care matched up with some skill could produce a better string.. I am looking forward to having a "personal touch" on my crossbow.

*EDIT*
Yes I come near Toronto, I go to Bass Pro every couple/few weeks. That may not be The city as far as some are concerned, but it gets me pretty close.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You go to Bass Pro Shop every two weeks? LOL! I'm thinking about giving them a letter to have me barred! Every stinking time I go I buy what I need and at least $500.00 of stuff I don't need!
David, if you ever going to be near the Bloor St bridge/via duct let me know!

Quick Reply: Fletching, nocks and bolts in general

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.