Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Feeling pretty good!!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:53 AM

Default RE: Feeling pretty good!!

ORIGINAL: coyote170

Nice deer fishermen,what dont you like about ypur Barnett 300,I have
a 400 seems to be working out so far,may be going to a ten point if
my wife reads any more negative on Barnetts!
Well, I have had it for a few years and it just seems so cumbersome to me. They are not balanced at all. I don't know if this is just a fact of life with crossbows or not. It seems very heavy to me too. I shot a conventional recurve bow and compound before I had to get a crossbow. I would rather have my ole compound any day for ease of use. I am still confident I am more accurate with a compound. Well, I would be if I could still use one. Maybe it is just a matter of being frustrated with myself in that I can not shoot a regular bow any more. I do think I am ready for a change. I have read about the Excalibers and wonder if those are something I should be looking at.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to awshucks and the other guys on here they will help you above
and beyond with anything you need to know,my wife brought me the
400 and seems to be doing fine but the next one for my birthday will
probably be a Ten Point,but am going to keep shooting this one until a
problem creeps up,you are right I miss my Mathews so much but Doc
says no more compound bows,without surgery,so am enjoying this new
way to stay out in the woods,good luck to you!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you guys decide to change bows, heft a Phoenix. It is so much lighter in the front than the wheel bows. It's a treat to be able to shoot it off-hand after dinging my rotator cuff up, and probably one of the reasons the Vixen and Phoenix have pretty well dominated the xbow competitions for a long time. i put over 7000 shots thru mine this spring and summer, w/ no problems.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

If you guys decide to change bows, heft a Phoenix. It is so much lighter in the front than the wheel bows. It's a treat to be able to shoot it off-hand after dinging my rotator cuff up, and probably one of the reasons the Vixen and Phoenix have pretty well dominated the xbow competitions for a long time. i put over 7000 shots thru mine this spring and summer, w/ no problems.
Which one did you shoot over 7000 times? Wow! That is a bunch of shootin. So, do you think the Phoenix would be much more balanced than a Barnett RC300?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Very well sain Dan!! Right on the money. I have a Vixen, an old Exocet and an Exocet 200 and the old Exocet is my fav by far.
Planter good job, good story and good deer. Don't belittle it. Its great!
Fishrman thats a very nice deer with a very balanced rack! What I really like about both pics is that you both didn't show blood and guts! Planter, its great when someone takes the time to present the animal with respect! No tongue hanging out and the animal is layed out to be respected rather than look like a friggen disection! I really hate it when animals are not payed the respect they deserve. Very, very good Planter. I suspect you are a hunter that I would enjoy hunting with and that is saying a lot!!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don..Every deer deserves respect and after I eat them the pictures and the memories are all I have. I wipe off their face and try to do the best I can. Nothing detracts from a kill more than the only pic being one taken dangling from a game pole or tossed into the back of a truck. I usually just sit with a kill for a little while enjoying the moment. They really don't come that often.
Thats a pretty buck fishrman and I would rather track them 1000 yards and find them than track them 3/4 of a mile and not. Still sick over hitting and not recovering a fine buck I was sure was mine. I jinxed myself by going home for the camera and drag rope.I never carry a drag line. Bad luck for me..>>>>>>>>>Whack!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishrman

Which one did you shoot over 7000 times? Wow! That is a bunch of shootin. So, do you think the Phoenix would be much more balanced than a Barnett RC300?
Iput at least 7000 thru my Phoenix, about 1200 thru my Emax [a beast] and about 250 thru newer old Paradox. Don't shoot it alot as I can only bench it and gotta drive a long way to a bow monkey to change string or cables. I'm not familiar w/ Bnett Rc300, but if it's a compound then yes there is a great deal of difference in the overall weight and heft between it and any recurve. For awhile I was drilling 2 1/2" snuff can lids fairly regularly at 30 yds offhand and once even got 3 into a 35 mm film can lid.
If you just use an xbow to hunt and let it set the rest of the year, they will all do the job on deer, if you do yours. It's when you try to burn some arrows up that the differences become apparent. Good luck!!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:42 PM

Planter, you are right about finding them. It bothers me a great deal not to find one. I had to go through about 700 hundred yards of crp and about 5 hours to come up with mine. It was a liver shot. Another inch or two to the left and it would have been a much easier tracking job. Another inch or two to the right and I may never have found him. We owe the sport and the animal all the respect we can give them. That includes everything fromt the shot to the picture.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Nice deer guys. i, too have a lot of respect for the life of an animal and feel humbled when i take one.Sometimes it is not possible go get a photo on the spot. That was the case with my deer last evening. By the time i walked backand gotthe truck it was very dark.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shot Planter,

Maybe I need to start climbing down to warm my feet[&:]

Quick Reply: Feeling pretty good!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.