Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Free cover scent

Old 11-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Free cover scent

I almost had free cover scent for the rest of the season.

Well it was a very uneventful evening in the woods. I saw two deer (spooked) while walking in around 1:00pm...one was a nice buck. Saw two more 20 minutes before dark...to far for a shot.

When walking out of the woods after dark I never use a light since I am on logging roads and trails... SO tonight well after dark I am double timing it out and realize at about 5 feet that the black and white lump on the trail in front of me is alive.[&:] Skunk!!! [:'(] I hit the brakes and backed up about 10 feet in a hurry. Luckily he wasn't too alarmed and he just scampered off into the woods without incident. I hate that smell and don't think the wife would even let me in the house if I had gotten hit from five feet tonight.[&o]

Mitch

Old 11-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Free cover scent

I was turkey hunting and heard a bird and was running to get in the woods it was in. Almost ran right over one. Very close contact. I could not imagine getting hit by one of them and having to drive home. That's where the real stink would start.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Man oh man, that would have been very bad. Skunks spray a mixture of dilute sulfuric acid, methyl mercaptan and butyl mercaptan. These mercaptans are what is used to odorize natural gas, only in ppm (parts per million) levels. Skunks spray in the % range of these compounds and they are extremely hard to get off. Basically you have to get some sort of acidic solution to help neturalize them, and then the acid concentration must be strong enough yet weak enough for your skin. Ultimatly, you will probably be sleeping in the barn for a couple of days or weeks. [:'(]

Sorry, but I am a research chemist and I actually work with various mercaptans and other sulfur compounds in gasoline and diesel fuels. Maybe I went to far...LOL....but the bottom line is peeewwwwww!!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

I was hunting in Caribou, Maine, as a teenager and coming up through a bunch of pucker brush when I spotted a two tone ***** with a built in super charger. I could back up fast enough in the pucker brush and it got me. I got a bath in Kerosene and tomato juice, and my good hunting clothes burnt. It is a experience I'll never forget.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

atcfisherman, man, I can't even pronounce those chems you said. You are pretty smart to work there and know all those fancy words like that. I'd have the whole place blown up if I worked there. I can't evenmix water and milk together good, and if I did, I wouldn't know what for. LOL.
And I ain't saying noth'n about those words Moxie was using. I'd get all tongue-tied and spit out something really dirty and probably get shot. I guess he was talking about a skunk but I'm not sure. LOL
BBO
Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 PM

That would have been bad news! The only run I had with a skunk was once I was on my way out and was walking in the field toward my truck. Was about halfway out I noticed a coon in front of me that did not see me. I started to walk faster and quietly and was with in about ten yards and then it stopped looked at me and then stood on its front legs and was dancing side to side? I thought what the heck? So I pull up my bow to shoot and look though the scope and then I realized what I had got myself into!!! I about fell on my arse trying to back out of there so fast. The only thing I could think of the wind was blowing pretty good from me toward the skunk so I do not know if he sprayed but the wind stopped it or he was just cocking his gun in case he had to, but I didn't even shootI just ran!! But thats what I get for thinking I was a coon hunter!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to watch out for that butyl mercaptin!!!! Youpups must not remember the first scent cover out on the market in about 1974. It was a two part mixturethat when combined produced a nasty skunk odor. I still have an old wool L.L. Bean jacket that smells as bad as you might think!!
I used that stuff for a long time ( A little sure went a long way ) until someone pointed out that skunks only smell when alarmed.
Back in the days before bomb scares I did happen to put a few drops of the mixture in the bathroom at high school but back then everyonehad a buck knife on their belt in school and no one gave it a second thought. I spect you would get tossed for sure if you carried a BuckKnife on the bus today.>>>>>>>>Whack!