Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Missed a big em...

Old 11-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Missed a big em...

Argh... On Wednesday I seen a huge bodied buck cross a treeline in my bean field, he thrashed up some trees and wouldnt come into my deke and crusied off. I decided to change spots and hunt the other end and make a ground blind. Well this morning I look over to east and see the beast of a deer about 80yds over. I let out a few grunts and he looked and kept crusin slowly away. I let out a few more aggresive grunts and he perked up and swung around walked right over. He started to get downwind of me (southernly wind) so I was getting ansy on the shot. He got perfectly broadside infront of me and I put the 30 pin on him (NOT THINKING) instead of the 40. Complete Miss.. He ran about 20yds stopped blew some air ran, got to the edge of the field blew some more and left. I watched him through the binos... counted a total of 16pts with the stickers..[&o] Was the biggest deer I have seen hunting. Hes also the first buck to ever blow and that at me. Is it ever possible this deer will return to this same field, or was this like one of them once in a lifetime chances..[&:] On the wednesday I seen him at exactly 5:10pm and this morning at 7:10am. Man I have been skunked the last 2 years... that buck would have set me good for another 5 at least.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Missed a big em...

That's a bummer!! Atleast you missed him clean, which if ya gotta miss, is the best way to do so. As to your question, see you are WAY north of me, would think if your rut is still on, he'll be around. Now, the deer fairy is gonna bring you lots of does and 6-8 pts while you're hunting the big boy!! Good Luck on him!!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: awshucks

That's a bummer!! Atleast you missed him clean, which if ya gotta miss, is the best way to do so. As to your question, see you are WAY north of me, would think if your rut is still on, he'll be around. Now, the deer fairy is gonna bring you lots of does and 6-8 pts while you're hunting the big boy!! Good Luck on him!!
Ya it was def a clean miss. The full-blown rut just seems to be starting now. When I left after that missed this morning I had to walk along a treeline past another field, in the middle of it was another buck with a doe. I had only brought the one arrow with me, as my back is been out for the past 4 days and I could barely get it cocked this morning even with the stringer. Figured there would be no way if I ever missed to load another one with my back like this.. Problem is tomrrows shotgun opener and my holidays at work end... Oh well, maybe tonight might hold something
Old 11-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yer deer will come back to the area but he may avoid site u shot at him. Specially in the mornings! He didn't get that big by making mistakes![]
Old 11-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Spike

He has doe on his mind and will be around them as much as possible. Since we are limited by the range its too easy to miss a hunting shot which would have been an easy shot at the range. Don't blame yourself it happens to us all & the buck wasn't harmed. That just makes the hunting for him that much more of a challenge. Good hunting & better luck next time.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep trying he will come back!