Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

HomeMade Barometer

Old 11-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default HomeMade Barometer

Here's a simple barometer any one can make outta a jar and an old glass pop bottle. Just make sure the neck of the pop bottle doesn't reach the bottom of the jar, the size of the jar mouth determines this, btw. Just add some food coloring to the water and there ya go. As can be seen in the enclosed pic, my area is in a high pressure phase as the colored water is over two inches up in the pop bottle. Have fun!!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: HomeMade Barometer

Yeah...Yeah...You been drinkingBoones Farm again, HuH?

Yup! That will show you when the pressure is high or low, but how many bars? You need to barrow a barometer and mark your jar were 30 and 25 are according to the barometer. When the barometer is dropping from 30 to 25 is the good time.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Reb, apparently the fact that the pressure is changing as well as the rate of change is more important than the pressure itself. On the other hand I've never seen one made from Rose' wine!

http://www.myoan.net/huntingart/deer_weather.html
Old 11-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

That's what I mentioned above, a rapid drop from 30 to 25.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

And so the world now knows I can't read, sorry Reb!
I don't pay attention to the barometer. I thought about the barometer thing but I don't want to discourage myself at the sight of a baromter. Now if I was in a situation like Dan, the you bet I would. I can only go on weekends or days that I have selected weeks before. Now guys like yourself and Dan and pretty much drop everything when you see the pressure drop. Yes I am jealous!
Old 11-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys don't seriously think I'd waste wine on this deal?? lemme tell ya, you can wipe spilled wine [perish the thought] up, but red food coloring is forever, like a dang tatoo! When I got the 5 year old bottle of food coloring outta the cupboard it was all dried up in bottom of the bottle. A little hot water and a few shakes and I got it all over me and countertop, lol.

Reb: Took the photo before I put a piece of paper on the jar w/ tape. I just check the local weather to see what the pressure is and mark the paper on the jar. That's reversed of course, more water in the jar equals lower pressure. When I get a deer or a bear, I'm gonna etch the jar, lol.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

You guys don't seriously think I'd waste wine on this deal?? lemme tell ya, you can wipe spilled wine [perish the thought] up, but red food coloring is forever, like a dang tatoo! When I got the 5 year old bottle of food coloring outta the cupboard it was all dried up in bottom of the bottle. A little hot water and a few shakes and I got it all over me and countertop, lol.

Reb: Took the photo before I put a piece of paper on the jar w/ tape. I just check the local weather to see what the pressure is and mark the paper on the jar. That's reversed of course, more water in the jar equals lower pressure. When I get a deer or a bear, I'm gonna etch the jar, lol.

Dan, many people disagree, but partner it really does work!!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 AM

it tells the rise and fall of the tides more than pressure.I have had one in the office for past 10 years.once ever couple years we have to add water(evaporation)

works great on the tides.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

it tells the rise and fall of the tides more than pressure.I have had one in the office for past 10 years.once ever couple years we have to add water(evaporation)

works great on the tides.
Is Barnett out of business??

Bought new crossbow.....now need advice please!!!

Barnett Wildcat C5

Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

used jack daniels in my home-made barometer.......prob is barometer is always falling......burp.....there it goes again.

Quick Reply: HomeMade Barometer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.