Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bought new crossbow.....now need advice please!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bought new crossbow.....now need advice please!!!

Well, I finally purchased a new crossbow that I have been wanting for some time. I purchased a new Barnett Quad 400. Even though I have an older Barnett crossbow that I have used, I have a few questions about care for my new crossbow.

1. How often should I wax the strings?
2. How often should I replace the strings? (how many shots or months)
3. What about general maintenance?
4. What arrows should I used with this QUAD 400?
5. What about maintenance for the safety and trigger?

Thanks for any help. I really want to start off right with this nice crossbow. When I purchased my 1st crossbow about 5 years ago, I just bought it and started shooting without learning about maintenance and general care. Now that I have this new one, I want to "re-learn" the proper way of maintenance and other things that I need to know. Funny thing is I have several kills with my other crossbow, but this is not about kills to me. It is about maintaining my equipment the proper way. Again, thanks for any help.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bought new crossbow.....now need advice please!!!

Eh fishyman i got a quad 300 with the 400 assembly and i wax my string and deck every5 or 8 shots. String replace ment let see never. Why i take my bow to the archer shop and they rewrap my srtrings or inspect them so ive had my xbow for 4 yrs and never changed that. And for trigger lubbing etc little drops of gun oil thats about it. Arrows i use xx75 2219 easton arrows with 125 gr shock waves. Good luck to you. theres not to many barnett fans here but i hope you enjoy. As i like mine i put mine through hell and back and keeps on going. I like when i can go buy a package with everything and not buy everything seperate. To me thats my own opinion.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmmmm......anyone else out there????
Old 11-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Tree climberand his wife both shoot Barnetts, but I haven't seen him around in a long while!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:36 PM

I shoot a Barnett Quad 400.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two Excal recurves, wax the string about every 40 shots or so, it will smell funny when the string needs wax, spray the trigger and safety w/ "Tri-Flow" a good Teflon lube from Mal-Wart. Don't get my strings reserved as new ones are only 8 or 9 bucks, and I get 200-300 or better outta them. My wheel bow I just got a few months ago and haven't done anything but drive a long ways to a bow monkey to get the string changed. I can do the strings on the recurves in about 10 minutes, most of which is adjusting the brace height. I don't use any rail lube other than what wax the string leaves, as per Excals instuctions. I do use an old leather glove to rub the wax into the serving, heats it all up some from friction. Good luck!!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:33 PM

Did you by this new one to hunt with primarily or just lots of target shootin. The amount of shooting and primary purpose really do play an important role. I wax my string when ever i forget the last time I did it unless I notice the strings looking like it needs it before I forget. Todays high quality strings should last a good long time depending on how much shooting you do, if you are worried about string life find a sport shop guy, that you can trust to not simply want to sell you more stuff, and have him inspect your xbow before and after your archery season. Your choice of arrow selection really comes down to you just being consistant in your shooting and any good arrow put in the right spot will do the job, your quad400 is plenty strong. As for the trigger and safety don't over oil them. I hope it helps
Old 11-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Barnett Quad 400,the people on this site have been a great help
to me and I cannot thank them enough,Most important read your manual
start out with what they recomend,get it down pat before you start to
change things.I am shooting eastons 2219s with 125 grain broadheads
and may fletch up a few with feathers to see how they work out.again
turn to the people on this forum they are the best source of help you can
find,good luck with your cross bow,I like my Barnett and am looking to
the day when I get my first deer with it,stay safe!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the great replys. This new bow will be for hunting hogs and maybe deer. I was told by the dealer to wax the string about every 10th shot. And I will get the "tri-flow teflon lube this week for the trigger. I probably won't hunt with it for about a month b/c I want to get comfortable with it and make sure my scope is sighted in correctly. I now believe that practice is the key to any bow hunting and I never want to go into the woods not feeling ready. Anyway, thanks for the great information and I will keep y'all updated as to how I like the new bow.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I have two Excal recurves, wax the string about every 40 shots or so, it will smell funny when the string needs wax, spray the trigger and safety w/ "Tri-Flow" a good Teflon lube from Mal-Wart. Don't get my strings reserved as new ones are only 8 or 9 bucks, and I get 200-300 or better outta them.
Awshucks, gimme a link or something i want some of the 8 or 9 dollar strings.

Thanks, martin

Quick Reply: Bought new crossbow.....now need advice please!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.