Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

recommendations

Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default recommendations

just received my crossbow permit today and would like some direction from you.

i have a bad shoulder [left] i am right handed. what are some xbows you all use and what are good and bad points that you have found?
Old 10-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: recommendations

Bob, that's a "Say What"? question!most of these Xbowers shoot different Xbows and consider theirs the best.

The best way to ask is keep reading the Xbow forum and ask on PM's. Let them explain theirs to you!

Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 PM

Well bob here goes for ya. I have always been a Horton man my self. Ishot a Horton Supermag for twelve years and now have a supermax and have never had any problems with Horton's. I have always taken care of myCB's and they have never let me down. Bernard Horton has been making bows for fifty years and has always made a great product. One thing I am willing to admit, (and Dan, Don, and Henry hold for this) is that I think Horton has been sucked into the wal-mart game. Both of the bows Ihave were the "top of the line" models at the time. But I think Horton has tried to expand there market share and to do this they teamed up with wal-mart and are now sellingbows that are not of the Horton standard and I would say they are "cheap" when I look at them. I would say any of the Horton's that have a machined aluminum barrel on it is OK, but the compositebarrel ones seem to be the ones with the problems. Like I say I have never had problems and the people I know have not either.

Nowthere is a good group of Excal guys on here that I know want to tell ya all about there bows. There is at least two of them that I would bet my life on that if they say good, then I believe it! The Excal is a re-curve design, and like they say, less parts has to be better. They like to talk about there bows, and I like to here it but sometime guys get jealous and jump on them so that is why they are quite, but after this post they should chime in. I love my Horton, its a nock buster and will buy them again no doubt, but if momma opened up the check book, Excal would be the next one I get. They seem to have great costumer service and them boys seam real happy.

And when I said some guys get jealous, I did not me Reb, he's been researching them for about six months now and someday when he reaches his findings will get one! And I am sure he will have lots of data to share.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

And when I said some guys get jealous, I did not me Reb, he's been researching them for about six months now and someday when he reaches his findings will get one! And I am sure he will have lots of data to share.
Well Jason since you opened it up...... bob d, all the research and handling I've done so far, I have to choose the Excal. The Excal is easier to maintain (no wheels), quickest string change in the field and Great customer service. I reduced my research to Horton, 10pt and Excal.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHAHAHA!!! As usual, Jason, you are right again!! Btw Bob, he stole this signature line from me!! "I would rather have a sister in a brothel than a brother with anything besides a Horton in his hands!"

Here's what Reb was meaning in his post, guys like Hotburn76! Squkilla23,{Horton dudes}
99 Jeep, Coyote170, Moxie, [2] Treeclimbers, Barnetts
Htoler and more I'm sure, 10 pts, and a slew of new guys I can't keep up w/ carrying everything under the sun.
I know I sent you a pm, but here's my public thoughts on them all, lol

Burned at the stake before a Barnett[again][:@]
Hung by the thumbs, but no Horton[]
Parker seems darker[8D]
10 pt. Hmmm, maybe someday, but not soon, [playing the lottery] lol.
Got three Excals, think I'm biased??

Old 10-21-2006, 10:50 PM

I know Don can resist for a long time, but I knew you would have to get in after my post! So come on Don its your turn.....
Old 10-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shucky darn the party has started without us Capt. Morgan! Fer the same price as a broke down dorton! U can have a decent Ten Pt. Titan or better yet the Pro-Fusion. I own an Excal Phoenix, great CB! With Excals the ones above mine are just faster and abit more on spent cash. That being said u can get the Exocet 200 on Ebay fer same price as my Phoenix, and its a very good CB! Fast n sweet![]
Old 10-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just picked up my EXCAL Exocet 200 for 368 shipped to my door from EBAY.. Cabelas sells them for 519 plus shipping. To me it is VERY WELL MADE. Looks Great, and shoots fast..
Old 10-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey Bob, you can see what I own and I honestly don't remember how long I've owned my oldest xbow. I think I bought my first one 15 years or more ago and have had no problems at all. I shoot my 12 months of the year and literally hundreds of shots per year and never had to bring it in to a shop once. That is something you will not be able to say if you own a compound xbow. Now if you shoot a hundred shots a year you may have to only bring it in to a shop every few years. So big deal right? So what I am trying to say is that if you want an xbow to hunt with and practice a bit before and during hunting season then most xbows will be fine assuming you get a decent bow like Jason describes. On the other hand Excals are light, you can change the string in the field with no affect on your hunt, changing your sting costs a fraction of what a compound cost and owning one makes women admire you! There are no lower quality Excals just fast ones and stupid fast ones. In the end you may not like how the Excals feel in your hands so all this is a moot point until you touch all the different choices so get out there and shoot them all. When you check out the Excal make sure you use a rope cocker! It will make cocking one really easy. In Excals I highly recommend the Vixen, the slowest of them all rated at 285 ft/sec! No moose fairly shot with that will get away.
Hope this helps
Don
Old 10-22-2006, 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

On the other hand Excals are light, you can change the string in the field with no affect on your hunt, changing your sting costs a fraction of what a compound cost and owning one makes women admire you!

Don
This right here is the main reason that Excal will be my next CB. I know my Supermax has fine quality but will give you a case and point. I have three dealers of Horton's in my area. One I do not like and will not go in if dying, the other takes off from the start of deer season and does not come back until November. The last one, the guy I use all the time has weird hours but is there most of the time. Well a couple of weeks ago, actually two days before opening day my serving went bad and I can not do a serving myself on my CB because the cables get in the way. It took me three days of hit and miss cause the owner was either closed or hunting. I have always been an independent man, if I can fix it myself then I do. I just tore up the trainy in my Chevy SS, I have bought two books on rebuilding, and when I am done plan on doing it myself. If I had an Excal I could be mister independent with my CB also. I could have slipped the string off and done the serving myself. But because I had a one with wheels I had to wait on a shop. Like someone else said, go to a shop and shoot them all, you may have to drive a little, but it will be worth it in the end.

Quick Reply: recommendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.