Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

targets

Old 10-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default targets

with all the foam blocks to choose from, whats the best one to use ? Is there a huge difference in stoping a bolt or a arrow ? looking at the dimentions there isnt a whole lot of difference in size between the ones they sell as compound bow targets and the ones they sell for crossbows. they seem to range between 14 - 18 inches thick what do i need to stop a bolt from a 150 lb crossbow ?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: targets

Up close say at 20 yards crossbow arrows penetrate deeper after that they loose speed rapidly therefore the penetration as well. There is a huge difference of opinion in the favourite targets. I use a black hole and the block. The foam targets are only used for broadheads. For target tips I use a bag type target and you are wise to hang them. An 18" thick foam target will do the trick.
I hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:49 PM

Got my first crossbow, a Barnett Quad 400,and went off to Ft. Sill to the archery range. Even at 30 yards the bolts went clear through the targets. These targets are some kind of straw like shredded wood that is compressed. Theystop arrows from conventional bows.

It gets worse: Built my own range in the back yard. At 30 yards the bolt went through one hay baleturned on its side, then wentthrough another one lengthwise. Boltstopped half way throughthe paling of the privacy fence. Finally wised up and got one of the layered compressed foam targets. At30 yards about eight inches of the fletching and bolt protrudes from this target after the shot. This target goes with me when I hunt. Use it to uncock the crossbow as required by OK law for transport.It is good target practice too.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yerself couple of burlap bags, stuff them full of rags and unwanted clothing minus any buttons and zippers. Thats will make u best bag target u can't buy! B'Heads i prefer the aim rite Bear to check it fer being on the dot or xhair![:-]