Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Jiffy Lube or Turtle Wax?

Old 10-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Jiffy Lube or Turtle Wax?

First off, this is an xbow generic post. I'm not promoting/demoting any xbows. Fair enough?

As ya'll know these xbows have been around since like 400 A.D. Lately there have been numerous posts on wax and lubes, ect. I'm kinda curious what the xbower that whacked Richard the Lion-Hearted in about 1200 something or other used on his string/rails. Ya'll know no matter what xbow ya'll use, you got a string rubbing on a rail, been that way for a couple thousand years. It boggles my mind that there are so many different requirements these days w/ these different yet same xbows. One says wax, don't lube, another yet says lube don't wax ect. ect. Yet another says do both. Do ya'll really think there is any real reason for all these different requirements on basically the same xbows? What do you think would happen if a guy took a brand new co "A" bow out and waxed his string when the mfgr said not to, use rail lube? Or co. "B" this guy didn't wax the string like mfgr instructed but used rail lube? Stop and think a second now, these things been flinging arrows for a long long time. Frankly, I don't buy into all of this, been waxing strings/servings for a long time on alot of different xbows and have never gummed up a trigger or experienced any of the other horror stories out there. Seems to me snot would work if it didn't dry out so quick, lol. Just curious what ya'll think personally, pretty well know what your mfgr advises, so lets try and keep this generic, lol.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM

Default RE: Jiffy Lube or Turtle Wax?

Well I know alot of people use string wax on there serving. When I said alot of people use it wrong, maybe I should have said alot of Horton guys use it wrong. Horton said on the stick of wax that I used to have if you put it on the serving, wax could come off and get into the trigger mech and cause a problem. I don't know why but they think it does. Maybe Horton has smaller parts in there that could gum up on a Horton, but not on a Excal, maybe Excal has more room in there and its not a problem. It also may get back to if the wax is put on right. Like the way you and don spoke of, thin layer, work it in etc, etc, ect... I have seen people put it on and it looks like you could take the string off and wax up a couple pair of skis for the slopes. Horton knows that people always think more is better, and with there bows alot of wax caked on by an idiot can cause a problem. Its like gun oil, in says right on the can, rub a thin film on and wipe it off, How many times have I or you seen an idiot put drops of oil, or take a spray can and shoot it up. Now down south that may be OK, but up here in late winter alot of oil on a trigger can cause it to freeze up. I think wax would only help the serving life if put on correct, but alot of guys would cake it on, then not have the trigger work, only to piss and moan that the bow is junk. Like you say, one maker says no, one says yes, it don't make sense right? Horton has made bows for a long time, I trust that if they say no wax on serving they must do it for a reason. I doubt they do it cause they don't like selling wax. It may be because of trigger design and the wax can cause a problem for only there bow, may be because they know people will use to much and cake up the trigger. Heck it could be because they are in the works with a rail lube company guy and are making money hand over fist on it! Who knows and who cares. It would be like me wanting to shoot light weight arrows on my Horton, busting them limbs and saying lighter arrows work on other bows so they must work on mine, but they don't, its the way my bow is made. Here is a cut from Horton's web page, its small so sorry, but the part that says no wax on serving is enlarged. I can not believe that they do it with out reason.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I think you have a point there Dan. Next time I'm at Bass Pros I will try the liquid stuff with teflon in it. It makes more sense to me that it would work. For years I used bees wax on my bow with no real problems but then again I didn't shoot my xbow as much as I have in the past five years or more. I suppose lots of different lubes would work but with different frequencies of application. Food for thought and a good one Dan!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Dan, Chicken Fat or animal fat!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

If there is a Lube with a higher content of Teflon like this on the market, please show me?

Old 10-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You have to compare particulate size as well as the carrier Reb.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

You have to compare particulate size as well as the carrier Reb.
The two best Teflon lubes on the market are Tri/Flo and Slick 50-1. Do you believe that Crossbow companies make their own lubes?

Now if petroleum base lubes eat up bow strings, is another question.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can deers smell those teflon lubes and those fats. U bet they can![]
Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Can deers smell those teflon lubes and those fats. U bet they can![]
Smoke, when you rifle hunt do you flush all lubes from them before you go in the woods? We are only talking one or two drops of Teflon and spread out, not half a can.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:10 PM

Well you se being the one that started this diatribe I was interested in using a GUN lube that smells like pine or spruce or something. This oil seems to have the same densities as the others but lacks the smell. Will the TEFLON really make that much a difference at 30 yards or less?

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube or Turtle Wax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.