Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Slicks or Enlighten Me

Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Slicks or Enlighten Me

Just got done useing Dnk's ASD on all my arrows, took nigh onto a week, lol. I noticed after I did my hunting arrows w/ slicks, I had a little wobble in a few. May have been there all along, dunno, as I shot several at various ranges and decided they were all good enough. The instructions say to loosen, turn washer and retighten real tight and recheck. Dang if that didn't work, but I'm puzzled as to why. I think it's safe to assume the washers are flat, and I'm sure the blades were nestled up high as they would go, so as not to protrude out where washer mates and maybe cause the problem. Any of ya'll can explain this to me? I can recall spinning inserts many years ago w/ candle to align b-heads for recurve, never bothered w/ older xbows as they were 20 yd max in those days, [late 70's]. I got em all [8] ready to go now, but have no idea how or why that worked. Also, use this as a warning to all you guys I told just screw em on and go, shoulda added check em. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Slicks or Enlighten Me

Washers are stamped out in a metal press at high speed and in very numerous quanties at a time. The metal used is flat, the thickness of the washer, but the metal is usually recycled, junk, with all kinds of different metals of varried hardnesses. Sooooo, when a washer is put onto the arrow, it can and does have heavy sides and lighten sides, and ununiformed thickness,thereby turning the washer is like putting wheel weights on your tires at the lighter side of the wheel to compinsate. It balances the arrow and also puts a different thickness of the washer on a different part of the arrow and, wallio, a better spinning arrow. Easy, peasy, Japaneasy.
BBO
Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Blue print the broadhead/washer/insert combo and that should show you if you have any imperfections. It is possible to leave a burr buy bearing down hard on the arrow on the last stroke of the ASD. Blue printing with magic marker on all mating surfaces and re-assembly will show anything like that. Have you tried two washers? How much is the point off and what kind of accuracy are you getting Dan? Maybe you should back off on the tightness of the broadhead? Honestly it does not make any sense. I installed two very long and slender broadheads on my arrows and the alignment is perfect. I am using Razor caps on my compound arrows and Magnus Stingers on my Lazer 2s and they fly just great. Yup you read right Lazers!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

It just occured to me Dan, did you check the straightness of your arrow alone? I am in the process of throwing out a few gold tip hunters that are no longer straight. I've shot the spine out of them. If I had to guess I think I've shot them several hundred times each. I checked them all when new and now they have a big fat wobble to them. I hope you have an arrow checker, LOL! I'm sure you know how to make one in ten minutes or so if you don't have one.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I've got about 12 yrs as a machinist/tool and diemaker. I'm sure I didn't leave a burr w/ ASD and to tell the truth, these washers which I checked w/ dial calipers for thickness and parallelism appear more to be machined than stamped. The wobble was/is minor, but enough to throw them off 2-3" at 30 yds. I did learn the tighter the better. Gonna borrow a buddies arrow staightener and see if I can rig the dial indicator up so it will check the run out on the point. More to follow, lol.