Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

OK........Time for a new one!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:11 AM

Default OK........Time for a new one!!!!!!!!!

Before this season I was contemplating buying a new crossbow. I've been shooting the same Browning Crossbow for the last 12 or so years. Its very accurate but I know its yardage limitations and never take a shot with it over 25 yds. This past weekend I had a perfect 15 yd, broadside shot on a nice 6pt. I put the arrow right behind the shoulder and a little high in order for a nice exit on the opposite side. Unfortunately the arrow never made it to the other side and without that exit wound, and the very thick terrain I hunt, I lost the deer's trail after a short distance. Usually at 15 yards the bolt goes through easily and burries up in the ground but not this time. So know I definately want a new one but don't know what to buy. I was looking at the Hortons but after finding this forum, I've read good things about the excaliburs. Are all Excaliburs recurves, and if so how much different are they than compounds? Any special maintenance or tricks to them? Any info on Hortons or Excaliburs is appreciated!.........Thanks in advance Guys!!!!! Erik
Old 10-16-2006, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: OK........Time for a new one!!!!!!!!!

Buy an Excalibur! You will never be sorry you did!They are fast, accurate reliable. If you had got one 20 years ago you would still have a great fast, accurate,working CB. Others make decent bows too but they just arent as fast or as accurate and the big factor reliability. There are just to many things to go wrong with a compound CB. IMHO
Old 10-16-2006, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do u want a wheeled CB or a recurve style? If wheels r yer thang then if u can afford a Ten Pt. u would be happy. I like the Pro-Fusion but the Titan is decent. Some of the folks here seem to like Parkers and Barnetts. Excals recurve CB's all very well made and any model u chose would be the right one. Great prices on ebay. Go to local dealers shoot every CB u think u r interested in. Then u can start the process of yes and no to them. Trigger- comfort- weight- speed and ease of taking care of CB should all be a factor in yer choice. Let us knowed what ya got, main thing get what u like and fits u!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Arkansas, any decent CB will kill a deer or hog! As to which one, that's up to your choice, Wheel or No Wheel. I prefer No Wheel!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arkansas: I got three Excals, if you ever get near Mena, give me a pm and come check them out. Two are recurves, the third a wheel bow called a Paradox that they quit making a few years ago. I use my Phoenix more than my Emax, it's a real bruiser! One of the neat things about the Excals is the fact that you basically get two bows in one. You can use theit light arrows and fsat flight string for high fps, or change to heavier arrow and tad slower string to get rid of some of the excess in power and speed. so far, the best prices on them seem to be at www.bowhuntersuperstore.com. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:10 PM

Thanks Guys........... I've almost ruled out Horton and Excalibur. I've been lookingat the Barnett Quad 400, but,I'm worried about the Barnett because of the low price, I'm just worried about the quality. I'm having trouble fiding specs on them that include the weight. They appear to be fairly heavy judging by the pics. I've also been looking at the Barnett Revolution but have read very little about them on here. My questions are, Does anyone know the approximate weight of these two bows set up in the scope package? and, Would theRevolution be any better of a bow?..........Thanks Again!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey Arkie, just out of curiosity, what ruled out the Excal?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:35 PM

Oh, I shouldn't have said I completely ruled em out, just weighing on what I can find out about the Barnetts. Price has a lot to do with it though, not that the Excals are not worth it, just that the Barnett price would be easier forgiven by my wife.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weight is about 8 lbs. u may want to read a few posts here past week of the Barnetts not working and others problems. I put them in same class as Hortons which have great repair service. U just have to use it every other week. If i had to have wheels and speed Ten pt. or Parker. Nothing will come back to bite u in the a$$ quicker than cheap price fer a product that ain't worth putting yer hands on.IMO! U get what u pay fer.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry fer the above post, its just in my IMO. So u get what u want and let us knowed how good a CB it is and y'all prove me wrong. I get carried away giving advice whom have already shot and owned CB's.

Quick Reply: OK........Time for a new one!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.