Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Meat on the table?

Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Meat on the table?

I shot I think 7 w/ recurve, meat types all, 3 w/ Barnett Commando, 4 with Pse xbow and 2 small does last fall w/ Emax. One pig w/ phoenix, but not a hunting situation. I know I got 5 w/ my muzzle loader, cause the last was a doe that field dressed 175 lbs.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I kinda think it may be wrong to say how many so I don't talk about it too much but I feel conspicuous by my absence in this thread so here goes. I only say this because it feels like bragging. If memory serves me right I've taken four by compound and eight by crossbow. The crossbow deer have been the most exciting more so than with the compound. Once at full draw I know the deer is mine, with the crossbow there's still much to go wrong before the arrows reach the animal. Hunting with bows is just for fun.
The meat hunting is with firearms. I wish I used a bow during the years I went to Wyoming. Hunting antelope with a xbow is a dream I dream.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I wish I used a bow during the years I went to Wyoming. Hunting antelope with a xbow is a dream I dream.

Crossbow Connection Magazine - The Magazine for the Crossbow

An Antelope Hunt
To
Remember
By
Riley Foster

[align=center][/align]
Old 09-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Reb, thats it! Some day! I want to hunt them with a crossbow more than I do with my compound, go figure!
I regards to this thread. No offence Jason but its not important to me how many I took so I really don't remember exactly. I really don't have a clue how many I took with firearms, there really is way too many to remember. I usually vividly remember the last one and thats about it. One year in Wyoming we had ten tags to fill and we were using rifles and handguns. I stopped at eight animals(antelope and deer). The last one just wasn't fun any more. I didn't hunt whitetails that year.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 PM

Hey don no offense taken at all. I really didn't mean it as a score card thread but more so as a experiance thread. Sometimes I read post and wonder if the person has actually killed a deer? Maybe could be a bad thread as it could make people feel left out or so. I know roger has said in the past he has not killed yet so I hope he did not take it wrong, sorry bud if you did. I was just curious who has scored on a deer and who is still in hot pursuit.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad I read this thread because I must be getting old! I have previously stated on thisforum that I've killed only 8 deer with my CB, when in reality, since 2001, I've taken 12 deer.
9 doe, one of which was a Piebald
3 buck, a thick 5pt, 6pt and a basket 8pt
My doe last year was 149lbs dressed with the legs cut at the joints, my biggest doe by far to date. I donated her(Hunters Helping the Hungry) because I thought she'd be too tuff. [:@]I'm glad I write this stuff down!
Can you believe I did all of this with a Dorton? I won't go into the others I've killed with rifle, shotgun and compound over the years.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

A sure sign of old age is when you remember more about the cookouts than the deer!!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I assumed that Jason. I knew you had more class than that! I just feel a bit awkward talking about it and at the same time felt weird not saying anything and felt like I wasn't suporting you by not answering your question. Kinda hard to explain but I know you know what I mean! LOL! I don't want to repeat that! Not wanting to post was what the "no offence" was all about.
Something about standing over the lifeless body of a great animal like a whitetail that makes it personal. That particular moment each time is like a good bye at a wake. Do you ever feel like that Jason?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:25 PM

I used to never feel like it. In my opinion the only thing deer did was make my insurance go up! BUt then about four years ago that all changed and I started looking at them differently. I used to never pass on deer but after a bad shot on a buck I started to want to pass on them and do better. I think I posted this story before the CB forum even got started so I went and found it and copied and pasted it. Here was my experiance tolearn to admire the deer story.....

I spine shot a small buck above the shoulder paralized all legs but one front leg, bleed real bad. So I thought I would just wait it out, the deer seamed calm just needed to let it bleed out. After about ten minutes the blood stoped and the deer seamed to be relaxing. Me being the big hunter I was thought I'll just get out of the tree and slit its throat. Mistake!! as soon as I got half way out of the tree the deer seen me and started grunting so loud it almost hurt my ears. Then it started that sreaming crap and spining on the one leg in circles. I had a hard time placing the shot as it spun on the ground but was able too. But when I shot the buck stoped spining and looked right at me in the eyes and the only thing I could think of was if he could get up I would be a dead man. I tossed my bow on the ground and went to the house to get the ATV and sat in the garage for about twenty minutes in complete disgust! I almost went out and dug a hole for the darn thing. But I came to and went and got him.

That deer messed with my head for a long time!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't look at this thread as type of score cardthing at all. It simply gives a hunter a way of sharing his or her successes and memories. It helped me recall hunts that quite frankly, I had forgotten about!
Dnk, sorry but I don't agree with "once at full draw I know the deer is mine, with a CB there's still much to go wrong before the arrows reach the animal". I "personally" believe there's more room for error with the compound bow because as you said, "once at full draw". This is where the CB has the upper hand, and at the most crucial time of the hunt.The CB is always at full draw.Not to mention the light gathering properties of a scope which is on most CBs. IMHO, as always.

Quick Reply: Meat on the table?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.