Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Brain Fart

Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Spike

Default Brain Fart

Well the inevitable happened..... This afternoon I decided to go out and practice with the crossbow. Everything was going great shooting inch and a half groups. When my daughter came to ask about getting on the computer, I had a major brain fart and eitherdidn't put the bolt all the way to the string or it wasn'ton at all,and shot my bow.... A very distinct sound. I had dry fired. After inspection all I saw was the plastic pockets between the riser and the limbs suffered the damage. They are craked and one pice even fell off.I looked at the limbs very close butdidn't see any cracking. The bow still shoots, and after sighting it back in I can't get my groups tight like before. I guess my question is will the pokets cause this? Or is this a sign of a much deeper problem? Please tell me that I'm not the only one who has done this.....
Old 09-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Brain Fart

bigboy, I'm sure your not, in fact I know yournot the only one on here who has done this. That being said, I would strongly suggest that you take your CB to a Pro shop and have it looked at carefully before using it much more! I'm no expert but this stuff ain't no joke!
Oh yea, I'm glad you wern't hurt!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigboyky: It's not inevitable, just likely to happen. Most of us honest folk have been there, done that. Some, like myself more than once, lol. You didn't mention the brand of your bow of choice, so can't help you there, but would advise you contact mfgr and get it took care of. If by some chance you have an Excal, call D. Miller at [740] 483-2312.They seem to have been warrantying[sp] dri-fire damage, just ask "planter" on this forum.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Spike

Sorry... It's my first crossbow, only had the thing for 3 weeks or so. It's a Horton Summit HD150. I had planned on using it this weekend for the first crossbow season here in Kentucky. If it has to go back to Horton I'm sure I won't be able to use it atall this year.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Well, look at it this way, now you have a prefectly good reason to get another bow!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Spike

Hell I just bought this one. I really would have a hard time justifing another to the wife! lol
Old 09-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigboyky

Hell I just bought this one. I really would have a hard time justifing another to the wife! lol
we all make mistakes.i had friend who thought his foot was in the place on front tohold your bow while you pull.he used a string puller.well, his foot was not in it and the bow went up and cracked his jaw.he is done for season.i was testing my cousins crossbow.i laid it on the floor and my dog came by and knocked it down 10 cellar steps.the impact caved in the scope cap and the inside of the adjustment area.lucky, scope still works but adjustment cannot be used on the UP direction.it is still sighted in fine.i heard of people in treestands not pushing arrow in far enough as it slide down when aiming at deer. arrow went wild out of bow.my same cousin was walking in dark, he tripped and bro his new excaliber bow limb in HALF..sorry to hear your problem, call horton and see if they can help you out,maybe overnight the bow to them and maybe they can fix it in a day or 2 and overnight it back.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mitch.. do something unethical and take the bow back to where you bought it. Tell them you don't know what happened but it broke and you want it replaced. Might work if you can live with the guilt of being dishonest.The closer to the season the more crap happens to try and ruin it. >>>>>>>>>>>>Wh ack!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

bigboy, Jonh has a point. You said you've only had your CB around 3 weeks, that means the warranty is in affect. Give that a try, you have nothing to loosebuttime!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Spike

Well, after talking with friends, and beforte reading the last 2 posts, I took the thing back to where I bought it and just told them the limb pokets had cracked. No questions asked they replaced it. I now have a new one that has been put together! Now all I have to do is sight it in tomorrow shoot it some over the next couple days and be ready to hunt on Sunday! I was honest, just didn't tell them everything. Is that bad? Either way I'll be hunting........

Quick Reply: Brain Fart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.