Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

USFWS Hunt prohibits crossbows

Old 09-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default USFWS Hunt prohibits crossbows

They allow "archery bows" but not crossbows. Virginia passed xbow use last year and it is a legal weapon in all seasons as well as all special archery seasons. No excuse for this but ignorance and, well we all know the reason.

http://www.fws.gov/backbay/Hunt%20Regulations.htm

Scroll down the page for the details.
Possession of loaded firearms or nocked arrows in or on a vehicle/boat or shooting from a vehicle/boat is prohibited. All weapons must be unloaded with actions open: while in transport, while on roads, when waiting for pick-up, and within the boundaries of the safety zones. Possession of weapons other than shot gun and archery bows are prohibited (crossbows are prohibited).
Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 PM

Default RE: USFWS Hunt prohibits crossbows

It sounds like a "special" hunt in a state park. If it is not normally open to the regular hunting dates and is a set up hunt they can do what ever they want. If you read the top part they are not even allowing ML's. I have seen hunts set up here in ohio the same way. Usally the person running it can set the rules and do as they please. In ohio I have seen them set them up to hunt bow only, and like wise they set them up to do just guns and bows are not allowed. If it was a normal public hunting area then I would say you can argue with them. But it sounds like a special hunt to control the population within an area and therefore they can make up what ever rules they please. But it still sucks!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: USFWS Hunt prohibits crossbows

Typically there they have followed state deer laws regarding dates, weapons etc. Deer season is open in that county at the same time. They also have a history of problems there. They did hunt that went bad and they canceled the hunt that year. Something about the people being picked wasn't done in a fair manner. If I remember correctly something along the lines of someone let their buds in first. Then another time there a refuge officer shot a feral hog with his 45 auto while showing other employees around. Then they had a BBQ. That made the news. Since there was no season on them nothing was done. But you're right they basically do what they want to there.