Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Ladies X-Bow?

Old 09-18-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Ladies X-Bow?

Hi, I'm hoping to bow hunt this season, since I'm buying an out of state license to hunt on a lease in AR. (Want to get my money's worth.) The bow season lasts practically forever, with a bow I can get 4 does, or 2 bucks and 2 does. During rifle season I'll put my trusty Ruger to use, but if I came across 4 really good sized does .... well, I'm not out to put a rack on my wall, I'm more interested in putting good meat on the table.

I'm going to start looking around the pawn shops for a x-bow, and was wondering what I should be looking for, and looking out for. I don't have a lot of upper body strength (my DH says I throw like a girl, go figure.) I see that there is a lot of brand loyalty here, but what I'm really interested in is what features should I pay the most attention to?

After buying at out of state license, cost is an issue here also.

Your experience and advice is greatly appreciated.

Terri S.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ladies X-Bow?

I am tempted to tell you to find an Excalibur Vixen because of many things. My wife can cock it with a rope cocker and she doesn't have much upper body strength, its really simple(no cables, wheels etc), has enough power for moose, has an awsome trigger, is extremely accurate, is light in weight. The truth is that the slider is probably more practical because can be adjusted to different draw lenghts therefore different weights. But then again you are going to have to pick a few up and preferably shoot them to decide on what you want.
I hope this helps and welcome to the forum and I'm not going to say a word about The Squirrel! LOL!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 PM

I will second Dnk's suggestion on the Vixen, but I know nothing about Xbows as I have just gotten started myself. I have a bad back and the Vixen with the rope cock is easy to cock. I have just started to shoot it this evening got it sighted in and all and love the way it shoots. Other models would most likely work too but I do like my Vixen!! MY 2 cents
Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Terri S: Check out the Excal Vixen. It's a light weight, accurate, trouble free bow and has legendary accuracy. It's a 150 # pull, which is cut in half by using a rope cocker [mechanical leverage]. Your next best bet would be a 10 pt "Slider". Both will work great for deer hunting, but I'm an Excal guy and like the simplicity of the recurve design. There was/is an Ebay deal going on at www.bowhuntersuperstore that had rock bottom prices and free shipping. I know more about Excals than any other choices, and that Vixen will ruin arrows at 30 yds if you shoot more than one at the same target. Another great feature about Excals is their re-sale value, they are like Harley Davidsons, lol. Have fun and Good Luck!

Oops! didn't see the other posts! No matter, good advice from all, even the goofy Canuck, lol, who bought his wife a Vixen, lol, Oh the games we play! lol. Hi Don!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Kinda easy to see through the evil we weave isn't it? She still hasn't figured it out! She's got no plans of hunting deer this year, hehehehe, go figure! I wonder what I should buy her next???
Old 09-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

sorry wrong post
Old 09-19-2006, 07:35 AM

I personally shoot a Horton Legend, but would be hard pressed to disagree with what the guys here have told you about the Vixen. Most of the major brand Crossbows have a cocking aid to help you cockthem.

If you want to buy from a Pawn Broker what I would suggest is that

1. Get someone that is knowledgeable with at least normal bows, a fellow crossbow shooter would be better to go with you, (I dont know what kind of experience or background you have, you maybeknowledgeable enough on your own) but a second set of eyes to look things over I think would be prudent, and

2. Look in your local area to see what is available, then go somewhere that will let you shoot and cock the same kind of crossbowto see which you like best. Usually Pawn brokers shun from that type activity in their stores, dont know why?? LOL, anyway...

Places like Cablea's, Bass Pro etc will usually let you handle an item like that that you are interested in. Then if the price is right and you like it you can go back to the Pawn Broker to make your purchase

By the way, Welcome to the forum and let us know what you decdide and how it goes.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM

I went to the pawn shop, and they only had 1 x-bow, and it was really beat up. I think I'm going to wait 'til Christmas and get a Vixen. Maybe Santa will bring it to me. Thanks for ya'lls advice.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

if you are going to wait and look at new I would suggest going to a proshop that cvarries many brands and check out several the Vixen and if possible the TenPoint HybirdLite the Slider and maybe the Profusion, and as many others as possible..