Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

HOW DO YOU AIM?

Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default HOW DO YOU AIM?

thought this may be of some help to us. been hunting deer for over 40 years with bow.i always used recurve and practiced at 20 yds,no sights.then compounds. i used the 20 yd pin only.now, folks are using the crossbows which i tried and used the 20 yd line in scopefor all hunting.i never take over 30 yd shot.i know of many deer that were missed because of not using 1 LINE in scope or pins on bow.just last year my cousin had 30 ydline on deer that was at 20 yds and he shot over deer.my way of doing it and this will not happen.what is your opinion and why?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HOW DO YOU AIM?

Ole Sprou, I use a rifle scope and and so used to "holding over" that I would rather just use a crosshair. My compound, however I use four pins. Twenty, thirty, fourty and fifty. I of course would never use the fifty on a deer and never had a chance to use the fourty on a deer.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats why i like the 20yd sighted in and using only 1 of your favorite sights.you are deadly to 30 yds.the number of hunters i talked to over those years that blamed missed shots on having wrong yd pin or line on deer for yardage.i see so many hunters today out hunting doing this, doing that,measuring this, testing that ,on and on.i do believe some are making things hard on themselves and are missing their deer because of it.from all my years out hunting and making many boo boo,s the one that was worst is estimating yardage and putting wrong pin on deer.by using 1 sight or dot or line, sighting it in for 20 yds,i have taken1 worry out of hunting.so, i thought i would post this and get comments, right or wrong.thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 09:38 PM

Well I think differently. If you have more than one pin its not the pins fault its the user. If you cant judge how far the deer is then how can you only use one pin and judge how much to hold over and under? I am not saying the hold over and under does not work, cause it does but it works cause the user knows how to judge the distance. The only way one pin work is if you only shoot that one distance like say 20 yrds. So sure it works but why limit yourself that way? If you can holdover a tad then you should be able to use the different pin also cause it all gets back to judging the yards. If you look out of my tree it looks like the target of a rifle. I have all the yards marked with natural objects like branches and such so I know exactlty were 20, 30, and 40 yards is. Plus my new V-zone is dead nuts on now and I look forward to 30 and maybe a fourty yard shot, but I have always been a close shot kinda guy, never want to have the deer jump the string.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use a recurve in my younger healthier days w/ no sights, but only took close shots, and knock on wood, never lost one. Now, my knees are shot and I live in some of the most godforsaken terrain I've ever seen. I really dont hunt deer now so much as assasinate them. Please don't take this wrong, but since I can't chase a boogered animal around, I don't take any chances. When I pull the trigger, they drop. Same thing w/ my deer rifle, a single shot .223 which I can hit a dime w/ at 100 and a half dollar at 200, granted off a rest and no wind. Somewhere along the line I lost that nervousness and getting excited over a shot. And, I range everything. Just what works for me.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my eye to aim!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I think what ole sproule is talking about is guys getting excited and pickng the wong crosshairs.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I think what ole sproule is talking about is guys getting excited and pickng the wong crosshairs.
dnk, go to front of class, you are right.its not that most dont know DISTANCE,its they get excited and use WRONG pin or line in scope.sighting in scope or pin at 20 yds dead,i can hold a little low at ten,little high at 30,if you want. a deer isreal big target behind shoulder.1 pin/line puts stop to one more thing that you have to be concerned about.keep it coming guys/gals.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am so much better with my Hoyt (Not yet hunted with Pheonix) on paper than in a hunting situation. In my backyard at known distances I am deadly, but up in a tree stand with that adrenalin stirring it has gone out the window more times than I like to admit. Still darn near foul myself everytime I see a deer. Gonna range everything this year with my cheap $180 Rangefinder. Wife thinks it was even cheaper. I told her it was one side of a pair of binoculars so they pretty much give them away. Score one for me.>>>>>>>>>>>>Wh ack
Old 09-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Planter, oh the things us deer huntersHAVE to lie about. LOL. I'm the most quilty. But I think our wives just play like they believe the incredable lies we tell them about how much we paid for hunting stuff, them they go out and buy themselves expensive things, justifiably I might add, and silently laugh at us all the while.LOL. Then that bargin we thought we got at the sporting goods store,was just really a sucker punch from our wives. We men work and play hard,handle all the responsibility, build a nice home for the family,pay for college for the kids, all the things husbands and fathers do, and our wives still out live us. Why? Because they're much smarter than us guys.Proof? OK, it takes a real smart woman toACT that dumb! LOL nuff said.
BBO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.