Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Equipment or Tecnique???

Old 09-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Equipment or Tecnique???

As I wait for the brown truck to bring me some goodies I began to wonder if all the junk available and I buy is making me a better hunter or one that is making sacrifices in tecnique or at least not paying close enough attention to detail. It is not the guy with the most toys that wins it is the guy that hunts right and I may be concentrating to much on the toys.I talk about the best bow, gun, stand, camo, broadhead ecetera and then I go and eat a giant boiled dinner and spend the day in the woods farting. I guess if I played the wind better I could still fart but my point is you can wear army camo shoot a crappy bow with mismatched arrows and be a great hunter.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Equipment or Tecnique???

ORIGINAL: Planter

I guess if I played the wind better I could still fart but my point is you can wear army camo shoot a crappy bow with mismatched arrows and be a great hunter.

10-4, good buddy!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

U are so right, back when i started to deer hunt by myself in 1962 at 12. No one taught me, no one deer hunted but me. Didn't have any camo clothing, had a .410 with 5 slugs. Shot 2 at white paper plate at 25 yds. hit it both times and my Pa said the last 3 are fer deer and thats means 3 deer! Advice he gave me stay down wind of those trails u watch and don't move until one comes in range. He hunted Bears and big cats with his hounds. I have drifted from the simple hunting to the got to have this n that. That has stopped 2 years ago when theif broke into shop and cleaned me out of most every thing i owned fer hunting fishing reloading Bowhunting and even all my clothing out there fer it! I am getting back to the basic's. If i up grade i sell what i have and then get what i need.[&o]Mrs. orders![:-][][&o]
Old 09-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Planter, you ain't got Smokey's hunting stuff have ya? NOOOOO, course not. I was just kidding. LOL.
Basis is good enough. But I am very guilty of buying all the toys that I think I need. (or is it want?) I have to police myself hard too. I was at wally world just today to window shop their hunting stuff. (I go there every week to take inventory) Well, I use Scent Killer spray on my camo and rubber boots. Guess what? They had scent killer in fall forest floor scent. I thought,"hey, that's cool. I NEED that." Then the under cover tree hugger cop that polices me brain said. "you idiot, you want scent killer with scent in it? You dumb a$$" I didn't buy it, but I was like a swipped puppy walking away.
I'm packing my day pack tonight for tomorrow's opening day and you wouldn't believe how many flashlights I'm taking out of the pack from last year. Where did I get them all? How many flashlights does a hunter need anyway? It's a sad fact. I'm a 100%, pure bred dumb a$$.
BUT I LOVE TO HUNT!!!! LOL (now where is all those shopping bags full of stuff I boughtat? HONEY??????)
BBO

Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Technique will always trump equipment .
Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I suppose you guys are correct to some degree but where do you draw the line? If you take a look at all of us here in this forum we have a big collection of fancy bows. Just look at all the compound crossbows for example. Without them some of us wouldn't be out there. As primitive as Mike's equipment is he's using a computer (albeit an old one) and a truck to hold his blind. I am using a primitive bow by comparison to most guys as well as pop up ground blind. I use old fashioned aluninum arrows but I have a the latest Hoyt compoud. Then there's the trail cams and on and on. Guys, buy what you don't need and enjoy the purchase. Buy what will ensure a more humane kill like better broadheads. Yup you guys are right technique will always be better than equipment. All I know is that I am going to type away on my AMD 64 laptop and use my Steiner binos. This year I am going to record my hunt on my new digital cam with a mini DVD. This year I am going to try the newest heavy shot that is going to be more humane than steel shot. This year I am not going to buy any more fancy equipment....honest! LOL!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am guilty, i sold my recurve Bow cause my left arm gave out. My desire to Bow hunt didn't and Tn. hadn't passed the CB law. I bought a Bear compound and stuggled to shoot it last year,took my last deer with that type of Bow. Hurt so bad this spring i knew it was CB time. I have a Renegade 50 cal. ML. and i have a Blk. Dia. ML and inline. I thought i wanted one until i got it,shot great just not what i grew up with. So like the compound its up fer sale. Trouble is everyone wants me to give them away.NOT going to happen! I am trying to up grade but keep it reasonable, i don't need most of this newstuff and certainly can't afford it anymore. I will be selling one of my Lock-on stands after deer season so i can get a Ground Blind.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Mike! you hit the golden word....reasonable! But one man's reasonable are different from anothers. In retrospect I made it sound like I have lots but really I don't. It's all realitive. Get that ground blind Mike, they aren't expensive and they work. I think we all buy too much and then reduce our equipment to what we use, well thats what I've done any how. Sure was fun getting that stuff at the moment. Now adays my hunting partner and I are trying to figure out how to be better, more efficient hunters. More about what we do.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

I think it is a combination of both....but without technique the equipment won't do much good.

Example after quite a few years off from hunting archery I dug out my old Bear hunter last year. It's over 20 years old, shoots probably around 150fps (if that). It was made before they even put cable guards on compounds!!! My comfortable range was less than 20yards, and I still nailed 2 deer. There are many elements of hunting that are more important than equipment, but better equipment can't hurt. This year with the HORTON I have doubled my range.....with better accuracy.

Mitch
Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Equipment or Technique???

Let's put it this way, a mechanic can have a 1 million dollar Alignment rack in his shop, but if there isn't a mechanic in that shop that knows how to use it, what do you have?

You know, as you get older, you really enjoy being in the woods and if you kill something, oh well, thank you Jesus. Most young bucks on here probablly don't agree with me now, but your time will come when you will think different.

Quick Reply: Equipment or Tecnique???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.