Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Equipment or Tecnique???

Old 09-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Equipment or Technique???

I have to admit I'm an equipment junky. I do know that's not what gets the deer. Back in the last half of the '70's while feasting or famineing on construction, I lived in an area that nearly all the timber was leased up by a saw mill. You had to pay to hunt their properties, $25 a day. Times have changed today, leases and paying to hunt is a little more common. Two things I really have a problem with, paying for are hunting spots and a drink of water, lol. i used to have my old lady drop me off at 6 am and pick me up at noon. Used a 48" recurve, can't remember if it was a Bear or Pearson, think it was called a "Cobra", 45 # pull, two blade b-heads and let me tell ya'll, we ate venison ALOT. No scent control, no rubber boots, no stand, or ground blinds, just walked/stalked into the wind, while looking over my shoulder, lol. Thinking back on days I would never repeat today, I think my harvest rates were due to all the time I spent in the woods. I knew there was no ride home til the appointed time. please bear in mind, I never went on private property or messed anyone else up, just had a family to feed and needed to get out during season and git-er-done. thanks to all for the good info!!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Dan, it still feels more rewarding and pleasure to do it the old way, but that is just my feelings and do not put down anyone who does it different. I experience a feeling of accomplishment, that I did it my way.

It's like catching a30 lb fish on a10 lb line.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, Reb, those were the good ole days. Too bad the ole body gives out on ya a little at a time. Some of those hunts would kill me today, lol. Gotta buy more trinkets to try to even the odds and that prolly doesn't work, but at least you can think it might help. I can remember when all I needed was a Zippo full of fluid, a knife, and some implement of destruction and I was good to go for a spell. i knew guys that could spend a week out w/ less but they had some kinda teachin that wasn't available to me. Now, the shotgun gets heavier and the cornfield muddier every year, lol. But, every day above ground is a good one.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks
But, every day above ground is a good one.
I whole heartedly agree Dan and anyone that disagrees can suck my corn shucker! Hehehee
Old 09-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

anyone that disagrees can suck my corn shucker! Hehehee
[/align]Is Corn Shucker like Vienna Sausage?