Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Equipment or Tecnique???

Old 09-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Equipment or Technique???

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Although more predictable fish are a great example Reb, bass and trout feed like crazy when there is a fast moving barametric trend. That barametric trend is well ahead of when the winds start up before a storm. I know one of my dogs gets really edgey before a storm. She starts staring into space well before the winds of a storm starts.
Exactly!....So many people don't believe this!!!!Yes we also fish by the Barometer and Moon Phases!!!

I live in the Lighting Capital of the Nation (Hillsborough County) FL, and hours before the Lighting Storm my Chihuahua starts to tremble. Before a Hurricane, she starts to tremble, cry and wants to be close to us hours before it gets here.

Well all critters in nature are the same way! Even an Ant!!! Down here when Ants invade food inyour Kitchen, theres bad weather ahead. I mean a clean kitchen!When we see the DryDog food in the bowl covered with ants, bad weather ahead and this is the only time it happens!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Delete! Double Post!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Delete! Triple Post!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:19 PM

Hey reb, in my next to last post I did the quote thing and I left everything you said in bold and put muy questions in lowercase with .... in front of it. Could you answer a few more? or is that what you ment by the campfire thing?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Animals and Critters in nature start to move when the Barometer starts to drop below 27 and as it drops lower they move more.

....So when this happens, should it be like go out at all cost cause the deer will be moving?
I would try it 24-48 hrs before the Snow or Rain fronts move in.

3. When the Barometer drops below 25, 99.5% of the time you will not see a Spider on it's web. Ants will usaully travel in a straight line or you might not see any on or around the mound.
etc.,etc.,etc.......So much to learn about the barometer to list here.

....And at this point it to late so just hang it up and stay home?
No...... I have had good sucess in a light rain

That's why I believe a person can be a better hunter if they learn about the weather and nature before anything else.

I know technique is how you take it to the next level of skill
I see it different than most! I see technique as the first level of skill, but then again it's my opinion!

.... Anyone that hunts the hog with the knife has it in my book! I refer back to the hog and knife thing alot with you, I say it with respect! I envey you for doing it!

Jason, everyone down here who hunts with dogs do the same!

Have you ever seen a deer look at you and stump his foot on the ground? Many hunters say he's trying to get a movement from what he's not sure of. Not True! He's secreating a scent from the Interdigital Glands and other deer will not come close to that spot.

....How long do you think the spot is "Bad" and unusable?
Untill the first hard rain.

I turned thirty this summer, I have alot to learn. By your stories you have learned alot of it! Teach me your ways old friend!

Well my friend, I'm over 66 and been in the woods over 55yrs. Like I mentioned in another Post, for the last 20yrs when I go hunting it's for 3 to 4wks at a time.

Remember, we live in completely different areas of the country and Deer and Hog habits could be different, but the Barometer and moon Phases work the same in all parts of the World.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I know technique is how you take it to the next level of skill

I see it different than most! I see technique as the first level of skill, but then again it's my opinion!
I agree with you but somehow Im trying to say it on the key board does not work. If I had kids I would take them out with me and have them watch and learn my techniques and hopefully others that I have picked up before they are old enough to handle a weapon. Like you said the first level of skill. Now if I had a buddy that i wanted to teach how to hunt and told him you are just going to watch the first year or so to learn the woods and such he would probally just stay home. But if I put some cool stuff in his hands he would probably come out and that is where I think if he had great equipment it would make up for his lack of skill. Thanks for answering the extra questions for me also!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

If I had kids I would take them out with me and have them watch and learn my techniques and hopefully others that I have picked up before they are old enough to handle a weapon.
That's the way I was taught and I taught my son! Even today he will find something in the woodswe never dicussed before and if I don't know, we'll do a research on it! He's 28yrs old!
Like you said the first level of skill. Now if I had a buddy that i wanted to teach how to hunt and told him you are just going to watch the first year or so to learn the woods and such he would probally just stay home.
There so many hunters like that! They think hunting is to just go into the woods with the popular weapon and when you see an animal, shoot it! That's just plain Luck or there are so many animals that every where you look theres one!

But if I put some cool stuff in his hands he would probably come out and that is where I think if he had great equipment it would make up for his lack of skill. Thanks for answering the extra questions for me also!
Yeah, but how proficient is he with that cool stuff in his hands? Would you trust him not to accidentlyshoot you?

Old 09-10-2006, 02:15 PM

Yeah, but how proficient is he with that cool stuff in his hands? Would you trust him not to accidentlyshoot you?
See thats where experiance comes in! I make replys and you keep pointing out the obvious!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

See thats where experiance comes in! I make replys and you keep pointing out the obvious!
Jason, I'll quit on this one! In 45yrs of Dog hog hunting, I only trusted2 as my hunting partners. The first one is still at it and he is going to be 77 this year and the second passed away in 2000 and that's when I gave up Dog hog hunting and gave my 4 dogs to my first hunting partner. Besides, my worn out bones can't take that anymore.

Now I have a Deer hunting partner who has been a deer hunter all his life and he is 70.

You know, Leonardo Da Vinci once said "If you want to Excel, associate with the ones who know more than you".
Old 09-10-2006, 02:37 PM

LOL good buddy! This has been a good post! Again I have learned alot from this and thankful forall you have shared. Now I just need to find Ohio's magic pressure numbers!

Quick Reply: Equipment or Tecnique???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.