Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Equipment or Tecnique???

Old 09-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Equipment or Technique???

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I've got some glands that are special purpose as well!

Yeah, hog targets![/align]
Old 09-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gee whiz thats disgusting![][:-][&o]I will have on my camo clothing opening morning. No scents of any kind, no calls or rattlingantlers. Just my CB, 3 arrows in quiver,knife, camera, sandwich and fruit and p bottle and of course billfold with hunting lic. and tags! Lets get it on![8D]
Old 09-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Gee whiz thats disgusting![][:-][&o]I will have on my camo clothing opening morning. No scents of any kind, no calls or rattlingantlers. Just my CB, 3 arrows in quiver,knife, camera, sandwich and fruit and p bottle and of course billfold with hunting lic. and tags! Lets get it on![8D]
You're a man with a plan!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:33 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Animals and Critters in nature start to move when the Barometer starts to drop below 27 and as it drops lower they move more.

....So when this happens, should it be like go out at all cost cause the deer will be moving?

3. When the Barometer drops below 25, 99.5% of the time you will not see a Spider on it's web. Ants will usaully travel in a straight line or you might not see any on or around the mound.
etc.,etc.,etc.......So much to learn about the barometer to list here.

....And at this point it to late so just hang it up and stay home?

That's why I believe a person can be a better hunter if they learn about the weather and nature before anything else.

....I agree with you 100% I hope by my post you did not take it that I lean on equipment more, I know technique is how you take it to the next level of skill, I was tryiong to point out that sometimes the equipment can make the differance, I will never get that deer out of my mind and in range but unable to shoot!

.... Anyone that hunts the hog with the knife has it in my book! I refer back to the hog and knife thing alot with you, I say it with respect! I envey you for doing it!

Have you ever seen a deer look at you and stump his foot on the ground? Many hunters say he's trying to get a movement from what he's not sure of. Not True! He's secreating a scent from the Interdigital Glands and other deer will not come close to that spot.

....How long do you think the spot is "Bad" and unusable?

To me, Technique plays 75% of your success!

I turned thirty this summer, I have alot to learn. By your stories you have learned alot of it! Teach me your ways old friend!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:34 PM

Almost forgot to ask, Is the pressures the same for Ohio as they are for FL?
Old 09-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watched that guy Tred something on TV and he was trying 40 ydrunning shots at Canadian Boo with a trad bow and wooden arrows thru the brush. Is that technique or a mental meltdown? Jason.. I know what you mean about the guy you work with.. I work with a guy who climbs a six foot step ladder and is sweating like a pig /W Reb on his tail with a sharpblade in hand. But.. Are the deer smelling what we do?>>>>Whack. Oh yeah and straight arrows to you guys who are hitting the woods and may your state allow Sunday hunting.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Almost forgot to ask, Is the pressures the same for Ohio as they are for FL?
No.........The readings are different in different locations. When you are expecting a Snow Stormin Ohio and it's Sunny in Florida, the readings are completely different, but as that cold front starts to move South, our readings start to drop and we will have cooler weather.

This is what keeps Hurricanes to the East of FL like Ernesto did. Sometimes if the cool front is late, it will come in thru theGulf and head straight to N. FL, AL, MS and Louisiana like Katrina did.

Jason, every critter in nature senses this before the weather man. The animals will move to feed and drink ahead of the bad weather. Deer will move more when the barometer drops below 26-25, usually 2 days before.It could be a Snow Storm or a Rain Storm. We don't have Snow Storms in FL, but we have Hurricanes.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Animals and Critters in nature start to move when the Barometer starts to drop below 27 and as it drops lower they move more.

....So when this happens, should it be like go out at all cost cause the deer will be moving?

3. When the Barometer drops below 25, 99.5% of the time you will not see a Spider on it's web. Ants will usaully travel in a straight line or you might not see any on or around the mound.
etc.,etc.,etc.......So much to learn about the barometer to list here.

....And at this point it to late so just hang it up and stay home?

That's why I believe a person can be a better hunter if they learn about the weather and nature before anything else.

....I agree with you 100% I hope by my post you did not take it that I lean on equipment more, I know technique is how you take it to the next level of skill, I was tryiong to point out that sometimes the equipment can make the differance, I will never get that deer out of my mind and in range but unable to shoot!

.... Anyone that hunts the hog with the knife has it in my book! I refer back to the hog and knife thing alot with you, I say it with respect! I envey you for doing it!

Have you ever seen a deer look at you and stump his foot on the ground? Many hunters say he's trying to get a movement from what he's not sure of. Not True! He's secreating a scent from the Interdigital Glands and other deer will not come close to that spot.

....How long do you think the spot is "Bad" and unusable?

To me, Technique plays 75% of your success!

I turned thirty this summer, I have alot to learn. By your stories you have learned alot of it! Teach me your ways old friend!

This is while in the hunting camp, not at home!For the last 20yrs, when I go hunting and make camp it's for 3 to 4wks at a time.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Although more predictable fish are a great example Reb, bass and trout feed like crazy when there is a fast moving barametric trend. That barametric trend is well ahead of when the winds start up before a storm. I know one of my dogs gets really edgey before a storm. She starts staring into space well before the winds of a storm starts.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know that when we set out to prove something that we are trying to prove it to ourselves and not some one else. In 1959 I hung up my modern new recurve bow and built a long bow and a set of arrows from scratch I even made chert heads for them, it took me a year to learn to shoot them well enough, and two years to get a deer with them. Did I prove anything? Yes I did I prove that there was twice as much that I needed to learn about the art of hunting than about archery. Lee

Quick Reply: Equipment or Tecnique???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.