Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Equipment or Tecnique???

Old 09-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Equipment or Technique???

Smoke.. I gotta tell you that if all of my stuff disappeared I would make sure my Ball and Chain was not wearing any new shoes ordriving a fresh ride.I have had stuff stolen but it must have been like getting kicked inthe Johnson to find all your junk gone. Did they get into the house too or did they spend all their time in your shed? Hog you old Hump we got a high speed category 6 fancy pants wire tester at the shop that gathers dust. It did not cost a million, but it sure don't get much done sitting there. I could never quite figure if thescent killer in the scented scent killer sprays worked how come you could smell the scent? Gosh you guys are a thought provoking bunch.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ball and chain, i reckon that would be my life partner. Was with me on a run. We called cops and report was made. Nothing ever turned up,lost Bow and its equipment. Lost a few rifles, spotting scope all my craftmans tools and all that other stuff. Worked all my life and gathered it up. Yeah it hit me real hard. They didn't break in trailer,all the neighbors can see both sides of it easy. Have a outside nite light but work shop is in the dark. I have went on and some stuff i will replace andother i won't, didn't need it.[&o]
Old 09-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You know it just occured to me what we are being negative about and we should too. Ok, successfull hunting depends to a good degree on luck, being at the right place at the right time. So picture the guy who lucks in wacks a 140 class buck with nothing but good luck and the latest, greatest, fancy pants, high tech equipment. Lets say the new BowTech Xbow wearing his carbon clothing, scent killer, using his trail cam, lazer aiming device etc. Then there's the guy who uses a carved limbed crossbow (barnett for arguements sake, you anti excal guys!! LOL! Just ribbin), he's used thread on trails and check the trails thru the day every day, using old Fred Bear broadheads, sitting behind a ground blind made of cut brush, wearing wool clothing etc but shot nothing. Who's the better man? Neither I think. Who enjoys the hunt more? I don't think we have to say it. The first guy enjoyed his equipment and thats ok. The second guy probably enjoyed his equipment just as much. To which end I will comment. Now guys this is no accusation because no one has judged another. We can only judge ourselves. Although I was comparing myself to a small degree thats ok because everything is realitive. I for one will stick to what I have and maybe buy the hotest whatever some day. Well ok, maybe my wife can judge me!!!! LOL! I think in the end its the hunt that I enjoy regardless of what I take home other than time spent with my hunting partner and the memory of the day. For me the best part is that the hunting makes the bond between myself and my buddies and the earth stronger with every trip.
Ok, where's that tree rat? He's next in the barrel! Hehehehehe
Old 09-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

I could never quite figure if thescent killer in the scented scent killer sprays worked how come you could smell the scent?
Yep! In FL it's mostly Pines and Palmettos and for manyyears I have rolled my hunting clothes in pieces of fresh Lighter Pine or use Siberian Pine Oil.The best camo I have found is Burlap!I see so many youngsters nowadaysgoing in the woods looking like Rambo.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Equipment or Tecnique???

Don't get me wrong, I am a really big fan of as many doodads as I can afford. Gonna get me some of thatgum that kills your breath odor. I know my foul stinking breath has chased many deer away. It's just that when I thumb thru an issue of Bowhuntermagazine it is more adds than substance. Can't wait for my new "Sling-Sticks" get here. The shooting sticks are in a pouch on the sling and are already attached to front end sling mount. I hope it will be slicker than snot on glass and will match the Excal. I also want one of them phlem catching cough suppressors but I wonder if it is ok to send it thru the dishwasher. Will have to check with the wife. Smoke... It would sure take me awhile to get back in the saddle if I had been burned for all my junk. I would be lost. I do have lots of Xtra crap so let me know what you are missing. maybe I can help you out. I remember going out with just a fanny pack. Now it looks like I am going on vacation with a giant day pack. With a stand, a pack, and an Xbow I will be moving thru the woods like a ghost.. I would just as soon be lucky as good LOL>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>Whack!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 AM

Well its obvious thats its Technique and not equipment that gets the deer, just ask a caveman, they ateand only had sticks! But like you said don were do you draw the line, there has to be balance. My first CB, the old super mag had a peep sight and three brass pins. I shot my first buck sitting onthe ground beside a stump at the end of a tree line in blue jeans and a flanel shirt, but the wind was in my favor and the sunrise was in the deers eyes and not mine! There is technique not equipment, Now, thats said after the fact cause I did not make the wind go in that direction and the buck just happen to come out were he did that day. But It don't take much to get it done. Now as the cave man did we could to, but it would take all day everyday non stop, that is where equipment comes in, saves us time and better equipment will get you deer that less equipment will limit you on, FACT! I mentioned my old supermag with the peep sight, I missed the biggest buck I have ever had under my stand at twenty five yards because of a "simple" peep sight. It was sunset, legal time was say 6:00 and you can hunt until 6:30 and my time was 6:20 I had a buck come out of the woods and I was hunting in this little cove like thing. I could see my truck just fine at half a mile away, butthe buck was in the shadows of the cove of trees and every time I would pull the bow down past thetrees he would justvanish in the peep! Need less to say the next year I went to a "fancy" red dot, and now I am upgrading to excal scopes. Why? Cause I want better results, bettershots. better kills. Could a plain peep get shots in at fifty with practice? sure, bet a pay check they would, but you will lose game in low light conditions. Now for camo I just have simple bibs and jacket, old andneeds replaced. But the only reason I wear it is in case I may get to spot and stalk, never have but maybe someday on the way back I will see a big boy off to the left in the woods and try and put the smack on him, and hopefully the camo will help. As far as scent goes, I don't waste my time. I think it all depends on the guy. I my self have to work like a horse all day, and maybe I will have like four drops on my head. I work with a guy that when we walk in and put on gear, he has wet arm pits already and we have not done anything yet, and by the end of the night he stinks like crap! I just try and use a little wind to my advantage every now and then, but no scents or carbon for me! Speaking of carbon, I watched a guy on a hunting show actually take this carbon powder and DUMP, yes i said Dump it on his head, back, chest and legs. Then to top it off he takes a hand full of it and smears it on his face, then has to spit to get it off his lips!!! ILMAO!!What a FOOL!!! That guyIs a clasic example of needing a differentTechnique!! Sorry so long guys!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

The main dodad to to have is a smallbattery Weather Radio tuned to your areathat keeps giving you the Wind Direction, Possibility Of Rain, Barometer Readings and Moon Phases. Barometer Readings being the most important one.

The most important Tecniquethat any hunter should know is Nature and how it reacts with the weather. When a hunter has learned all these things, then he is ready to be proficent with a weapon and sharpen his hunting skills.

Does everyone here know where every scent gland is on a deer and how they use them and when?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Barometer Readings being the most important one.

The most important Tecniquethat any hunter should know is Nature and how it reacts with the weather. When a hunter has learned all these things, then he is ready to be proficent with a weapon and sharpen his hunting skills.

Does everyone here know where every scent gland is on a deer and how they use them and when?
As for the barometer goes explain this to me. I meet alot of hunters that talk about it, and even see them refer to it on TV but yet have I found a man that can explain it to me so that I can use it!Most of them just talk out their azz trying to sound smart, people say that deer move when it rises and falls, when I try to go into detail about it they start to stumble and all but admit they are full of POOP! Not saying you are this reb, but I would like to unstand this better so that I can use it. And the glands, I know their is more but have only messed with the tarsal glands. I strugle with this because the wife has a hard time with them in the frezzer for a year.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

As for the barometer goes explain this to me.
Jason, there are many things to learn about the Barometer to explain on a post, but I'll list a few.

1. Have you ever noticed a Dragon Fly in the woods flying just above your head? When the barometer is at 30 there is hardly any atmospheric pressure and they get altitude in flight, but when it starts to drop from 30 the pressure is increasing and they fly lower and lower.

2.When the barometer drops it's an indication ofCold Fronts or Heavy Rains. Animals and Critters in nature start to move when the Barometer starts to drop below 27 and as it drops lower they move more. Here in FL we have the weather man towarn us of a possible Hurricane, but if you know about nature and the barometer, you don't need a weather man, just read nature and the Critters will tell you before anyone.

3. When the Barometer drops below 25, 99.5% of the time you will not see a Spider on it's web. Ants will usaully travel in a straight line or you might not see any on or around the mound.
etc.,etc.,etc.......So much to learn about the barometer to list here.

That's why I believe a person can be a better hunter if they learn about the weather and nature before anything else.

Not saying you are this reb, but I would like to understand this better so that I can use it. And the glands,
As for the glands,
Young Bucks Outdoors

Have you ever seen a deer look at you and stump his foot on the ground? Many hunters say he's trying to get a movement from what he's not sure of. Not True! He's secreating a scent from the Interdigital Glands and other deer will not come close to that spot.

Yes deer use branches to spar and to rub velvet off, but they are also screating scent from the Preorbital Glands on them.

etc., etc., etc........every gland serves a purpose!

To me, Technique plays 75% of your success!

Old 09-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I've got some glands that are special purpose as well!

Quick Reply: Equipment or Tecnique???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.