Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Calling all excal guys!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 PM

Default Calling all excal guys!!!

Hey don, dan, and smoke... with dans talking all about the excal scopes and such lately I cant get them out of my head. With my horton multiretical scope It works but my bow is faster than the scope is set for so I get into hold over and under issues. I do not want to forget the stuff when my bad case of buck fever sets in! So what I am asking from you good buddys is I was on the excal web site and seen the VARI-ZONE scope, but then noticed they have a DROP ZONE scope. Whats the differance on them? And after you can answer that, where can I get the one I want for the best price? The old girl is about to get road by a canadian! ( the CB that is! )
Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calling all excal guys!!!

on the varizone there is speed adjustment I believe or close to from 260fps to 360fps and there is no speed adjustment on the dropzone Ebay is where I have found the best prices..

guess I should have let Don ,, Dan ,, or Smoke answer that sorry they will correct what I have gotten wrong..
Old 09-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Henry ya done well my friend, dropzone is the older model and you want the varizone. What it does is, sight in at 20 fer speed of yer arrow. Then check it at 30 to make sure its on the money. If not you adjust it at 30 and it should be in there fer 40 and 50. Spect awshucks can add abit more to what we have told ya. If ya like a scope on a CB its the cats meow. Talking of cats and meows, that will put squirrels fur on end, they don't get along none to well! hehehe.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Guys, I have a Varizone on the Vixen and a rifle scope on the Exocet. I shoot so much rifle that it is second nature to hold over.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn: They were going for $79.95 on ebay promotion for bowhuntersuperstore. Henry was right, you want the V-zone. I can't tell you how impressed I am w/ this scope. I fooled w/ BDC scopes all of my adult life and found them marginal at best, kinda think Dnk has it right re: hold over. However these puppies are amazing and work on an extremely simple principle. They are actually a 2.5X4 variable. When you adjust the "speed ring" all you are really doing is changing your field of view. You may recall my post how my 442 gr shoot 2" lower at 30 than my 431 gr. I marked the speed ring w/ a scribe for both weight arrows and go back and forth between the two w/ amazing regularity. I've got one tip for you, make absolutely sure you have the xhairs plumb and level to the bow when you mount it. I use a plumb bob. Any error there will show up as a windage problem at 30 and beyond. [dead nuts at 20, but 1-3" off at 30].
The only thing about them I'm not fond of is the fact that each click equals 1/2" at 20 yds. The next best price is at Outdoors Experience. Sorry for the long post.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Ive never heard of leveling the scope this way. Can you explain a little bit more about how its done, or do you have any links for more information. I would like to check out my scope to see how close i am.

Thanks

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I've got one tip for you, make absolutely sure you have the xhairs plumb and level to the bow when you mount it. I use a plumb bob. Any error there will show up as a windage problem at 30 and beyond. [dead nuts at 20, but 1-3" off at 30].
T
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 AM

Does anyone have any pics of what the cross hairs look like? Im mean is it one of the simple cross with dots below or is it lines? And that is just plain nuts with it being variable scope and your just changing the feild of view! I mean like that is so simple it should not work! I hope when horton and ten poit plant managers found out about this they fired their scope people! But also just want to make sure I should be able to make this thing dead nuts on after 20 yards with the ring right? no hold over stuff?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Also, almost forgot, This may sound dumb but what does it mean when they say this....

The Vari-Zone is virtually parallax free at normal crossbow shooting ranges

All the places that sell them say it?

Old 09-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

August 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM [/align]

awshucks
vbmenu_register("postmenu_3075798", true);
[/align]Registered User[/align]

Join Date: Mar 2006[/align]Location: mtns. Arkansas[/align]Posts: 86 [/align][/align][/align]

I prefer the Excal Varizone over anything else. It has the ability to be spot on from 10 - 50 yds, no matter what bow or arrow weight. The 10 pt has three aimpoints, so if you hunt other game besides deer at other ranges than the preset limits of the Pro-view, you will have to do some guessing somewhere. In all fairness, if you are only going to hunt deer the 10 pt is hard to beat w/ those lit reticule junctions in your choice of red or green.[/align]__________________
Illigitimus non Carborundum!!! [/align]
Old 09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Quick Reply: Calling all excal guys!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.