Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Calling all excal guys!!!

Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling all excal guys!!!

Almost paralax free means as you look thru scope it doesn't have to dead centered with yer eye and you still hit where ya was a looking! To explain, if you get too fer back or too close you don't get that clear all around view. Well once its sighted in it will put yer arrow where you put xhair even if'en you see dark in scope cept a little open circle. Yup that be the one ahuh, jus peek and it be there.[:-][]
Old 09-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK step right up one thin dime one tenth of a dollar, durn thought i be at the circus again!To level yer scope me lads, place yer CB in a rifle rest or sand bags and put a level across rails, Align that bubble wid dem lines til they is equal. Then take elevation cap off scope and put that small level across it and move til it be level then put the tight on dem screws fer truth afore it twists and ya gotstid to relevel it. Got all that?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I understand all of your questions, but will answer what I think they are. First, parallax is an optical illusion that can be present in a scope. It is eliminated by AO [adjustable objective]. All non AO scopes are adj at the factory to be plax free at some range or the other. If you put a plax free scope for larege caliber rifle on a .22 and are shooting at say 30-40 yds, if you put the xhairs on a set target and move your head around while looking thru the scope the xhairs appear to circle the target. You can eliminate this somewhat by mounting your cheek to the stock the same every time. A .22 scope is set to be plax free at closer ranges, w/ one of those the circling thing won't happen. Xbow scopes are set to be plax free at xbow ranges.I still prefer the V-zone over the Pro-Elite, I like the spot on accuracy w/o holdover at all ranges. The V-zone has one cross hair and three small triangle below on the vert hair for 30, 40, 50 yds. The only hold over/under involved is at 25, 35, 45 yds. For those ranges you just put where you want to hit between the two appropriate points. The farthest I can bench rest easily is 36 yds, and my V-zones are dead nuts holdin half way between the 30 and 40 yd triangles.

Crossbows shoot the most accurate whe the limbs are held level. You want to twist the scope in the rings prior to final tightening, so that the horz hair is level when the limbs are level. Failure to do so will result in your poi being to one side or the other more and more as you increase the range to the target. Some put levels on their bows like I have on all mine.
Can't say it makes a huge difference, but I can level my scopes real well w/ the practise I've had over the years. All of this applies to rifles too btw. I hang a plumb bob at 20 yds and while checking the level on the riser, I look to see if the verticle hair is lined up before I tighten the rings.
Since I'm wting a book here, lol, I'm gonna give ya another tid bit I picked up. 20 yds don't tell ya much, I think bare shafts will shoot at 20. 30 yds is where the stuff really shows up. Enjoy em guys/gals, Reb will no doubt post a pic of V-zone.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Reb will no doubt post a pic of V-zone.
Is this the one?

Old 09-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn: Here's a pic of v-zone reticule I think, lol

Old 09-06-2006, 03:56 PM

Hey a big thank you to all!! Don, Dan, Henry, Mike and the crazy guy that hunts pigs with a knife!!!

I feel I asked good questions and you all pounced on it and I got what I needed! Thats what makes this site great! When you two spoke about the parallax I remembered what it was, just had not heard it in a while and forgot. Thanks for the pics of the crosshairs, It is what I was looking for and will work great I am sure! Well Once again thanks you guys and its off to ebay! I found a bunch of them scopes for sale by the guy dan was talking about so see ya later!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

and the crazy guy that hunts pigs with a knife!!!

and gators with a harpoon![/align]
Old 09-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reb: You beat me to it, lol, but I'm getting better w/ this piece of junk! did you get that xbow yet?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Reb is never going to buy one, he's here to keep us in line and zap us from time to time. We should call him sniper! LOL
Old 09-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: aw shucks

Reb:did you get that xbow yet?
Nope! I have to get these medical problems under control. I believe I would beOK, but the wife will just worry about me the whole time.I decided on the Excal, but I want to make sure I'm going to be able to go back into the woods first. I still might buy it andbecome proficient here on my placeand out do DNK, the scary Turkey Hunter!

Quick Reply: Calling all excal guys!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.