Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Tree Stands

Old 09-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tree Stands

When I use a tree stand, I stick with a climber. Too many thiefs around here to leave a stand in the woods. Tom
Old 09-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is awful sad thatjust about everyone in here has to lug a stand in on opening day. Hard to believe that there are that many weasles in the woods.The worst part is it is hunters stealing from hunters. My biggest problem is the guys that chain one up and leave it on public land for five seasons. Can you permanently lease a space just by hanging one. I see some that you can tell have not been sat on in years and I stear clear, but what are my ethical obligations. It locks up prime spots that I should be hunting. Oh to own 50 acres......>>>Whack
Old 09-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Planter, that's a good point about people leaving stands up on public land.[:@] If I see one that's been left in the woods and it's not occupied, in an area I want to hunt, I just hunt there. That's their tuff s%&t! That's the way it goes.Sometimes in this one State Park I hunt, rangers will remove stands that have been left and the owner must go to the office to claim them, facinga possible fine.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

reason is many why stands are stolen. i hunted state forestland for almost 50 years. i hunt area i hunted for 50 years. now, new jersey hunters come in and put up 14 stands in my hunting area.yes,14 stands.they put them up 5 days before opening on monday or leave them there for years. then they see me on sunday and say, HEY SPROUL WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING.i said, well up to put my stand up in my spot i have been hunting for 50 years. oh no, we were here first. can you believe the a holes from out of state coming here. they are raised that way , i know i worked in new jersey. so, after this ,many hunters get mad and steal the stand or knock it down.here is another one. they buy camp on stateforestland. i hunted around that camp for 50 years.NOW, they run out of camp and say to us,SPROUL,LAW SAYS YOU CANT HUNT WITHIN 150 YARDS OF OUR CAMP. yet, they put 6 treestands around camp and they hunt it.they even drill steps into the live trees.yet, law says i cant TRESSPASS around that camp when occupied,you cant even walk accross there. this is why stands are being stolen. people who hunted all their lives in that area are now being chased out by out of state hunters, mostly new jersey who now think they own the woods. yes, they leave their stands out for years. why cant those stands be required to be removed after season is over. you know why they leave them, they are saying to us local pa hunters,THIS IS MY SPOT SPROUL, STAY HELL OUT!!i hope no one gets mad on the new jersey hunter comment a made but trouble we are having is with them.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i had a 2nd lock-on in layaway, but after hanging this 1st one up. I feel its getting harder on a 56 year worn out old fart. I will sell it after this years deer season. I put a 15' ladder stand on layaway, i think its safer fer me. So next i will get is a decent Ground Blind. I wonder if that total scent control is worth the extra money they ask fer them? Anyone out there tried one out to see if they really work? Come on folks don't be shy! I need to knowed about these things!
Old 09-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Mike, are you talking about the carbon clothing or the carbon ground blinds.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking about the Ground Blinds,DNK. Glad u asked don't want anyone cornfused like me!
Old 09-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Well i had a 2nd lock-on in layaway, but after hanging this 1st one up. I feel its getting harder on a 56 year worn out old fart. I will sell it after this years deer season. I put a 15' ladder stand on layaway, i think its safer fer me. So next i will get is a decent Ground Blind. I wonder if that total scent control is worth the extra money they ask fer them? Anyone out there tried one out to see if they really work? Come on folks don't be shy! I need to knowed about these things!
the ladder stand is way to go as you get older.i have tried and owned them all. i just sold my summits climbing and others.dicks had ladder stands on sale for 49 dollars this week. 15 ft.when lots of hunters are in woods, moving deer, no problem being on ground. in fact, your olds are better because if you hear a shot ,you can move quick and set -up. when no one is in woods, thats when treestand i feel ,is good. deer comes out slowly using his nose taking his time. when deer are pushed, they dont have time to think, as much.we used to smoke our clothes at 5 am before we went into woods to sit. now, law says you cant start a fire to smoke yourself.i do it at camp now before i go out in morning.also, 15 ft is max,i know, some will say 20 ft or 25 ft.try smoking your clothes ,that may help.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:43 PM

I don't by into the scentlock stuff. Eat a can of beans then put one on and answer your own question!
Old 09-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Talking about the Ground Blinds,DNK. Glad u asked don't want anyone cornfused like me!
I have a carbon pop up blind. When I bought it I didn't think that the carbon worked. The real benifit to me was that there would be no shadowing because of the black interior. I suppose I could have spray painted the inside of a non carbon blind but the smell might have taken weeks to go away. I bought it near the end of the hunting season last year. On the other hand when the windows are down you get a dark spot that some say deer do not like. Apparently, according to some they are best used with the shoot through windows/screens. If you think about it to reactivate it you have to get it really hot as in a clothes drier and I can't see how that is going to happen.