Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Gold Tip

Old 09-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gold Tip

I think many times when arrows do not hit their mark so badly it is often caused by the spine. We as crossbowers do not see where that is on a crossbow arrow. Our arrow acceleration is so abrupt that I cannot believe that the spine does not affect the arrow more than in a vert bow. Some accuracy noodle brains check to see where the spine is and align their cock vanes on it to gain consistancy. I think it pretty impractical to find a spine in a short shaft so I have never considered it. On the other hand I've never experienced any real inconsistancies in my arrows, contrary to other's experiences. It may also have to do with not squaring your arrow shafts and inserts where the points or broadheads mate. I have also noticed the, what looks like, poor structure of arrow shafts that when shot, shoot very well. I have some carbon express that have a gap on the inside layer of carbon that shoot absolutely amazing. Go figure! Anywaysss. Henry, you got to look else where before thinking it maybe the shaft itself. Don't buy a whole bunch of arrows and sort them, I never do that (did you see my 30 yard offhand group with painted, unweighed aluninum arrows?) and I am happy with them. Henry, all I am saying is look at what you are doing first rather than what you are buying. Absolutely no harshness intended Henry!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Henry: You can make a very accurate scale for nothing. Get a stick of wood that resembles a yard stick, drill a small hole in each end, tie a string w/ alligator clip on ends. Take a third string and a staight pin, keep moving it on the edge til it balances level. Then, drill a small hole there and tie the third string on stick.[to hang scale]You can compare arrows that way, by clipping the alligator clip on vanes. You can add a baggie to each side and use US currency for weights. A dollar bill weighs 15.34 grains [1 gram] and a nickel weighs 5 grams or 76.7 grains. You can even weigh arrows by using [3] 100 gr field tips and adding currency to get a balance. I got a cheap digital scale from Cabela's that was only $29 or so. The above set-up is accurate to within a few grains.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Orrrr you can just use the lightest arrow on one side and keep removing materal until it matches or visa versa. Afterall aren't we just trying to have equal weights? Electronic scales are so cheap now a days. You can even use a balance beam type scale made for reloading, used or new.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 AM

You can buy a balance beam scale for reloading from LEE Reloading supplies for 25 bucks that is accurate and will do fine. Do not think because LEE sells cheap stuff that it will not work. It measures out 27.5 grains of 4895 right on the money every time and I have quarter size groups to prove it!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:10 AM

Sorry bad info all! The lee only has a 100 grain capacity. They do have a layman for 42 bucks that has a 500 grain cap. at midwayusa.com
Old 09-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a pic of mine, love it. It has a tare feature so you can put a wood "V" block on it to keep arrows from rolling off, and eliminate the weight of the block.