Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What to look for in a new crossbows

Old 08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What to look for in a new crossbows

ORIGINAL: ryanaller

RebelHog - Does that mean you prefer a different type of crossbow, and if so why?
Hey I love Canadian Bacon andCanadian CrossBows!
Barnett is only 9 miles from me and Fred Bear is 80 miles fromme, butI would drive to Canada from central FLfor an Excal!Which crossbow do you think I prefer?

Edit: Oh and Ann Murray!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Wellllllll, I was at the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show this past weekend, all weekend, and I met and talked to at great length, the man that owns Excalibur Crossbows. It was educational to say the least, talking to him. I am sorry however, but I do not remember his name. I do however remember the Ten Point representive that was there and I met him in person and his name is our own Randy. He looks just like he sounds on our forum guys. Friendly, nice looking, and very generous. I am proud to be an owner of aTen Point Crossbow, not because I know the nicest rep. in the business, but because Ten Point is right for me. I bought mine before I knew it was going to grow to my hands like it has and shoot so fine. If you other guys lust over your crossbows like I do mine, then your poor wives are getting cheatedon come hunting season. Gosh, I love hunting!
BBO
Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buddy

Wellllllll, I was at the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show this past weekend, all weekend, and I met and talked to at great length, the man that owns Excalibur Crossbows. It was educational to say the least, talking to him. I am sorry however, but I do not remember his name. I do however remember the Ten Point representative that was there and I met him in person and his name is our own Randy. He looks just like he sounds on our forum guys. Friendly, nice looking, and very generous. I am proud to be an owner of aTen Point Crossbow, not because I know the nicest rep. in the business, but because Ten Point is right for me. I bought mine before I knew it was going to grow to my hands like it has and shoot so fine. If you other guys lust over your crossbows like I do mine, then your poor wives are getting cheatedon come hunting season. Gosh, I love hunting!
BBO
HeyBuddy, my wife is from Brevard, NC next to the Pisgah National Forest.We usealy go twice a year.We also goto Asheville, Canton, Waynesville, Maggie Valley and Cherokee. She has aunts and cousins in all these.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

BuddyBo - The owner of Excalibur is Bill Troubridge, and I have spoken with him several times. He has been more than helpful with my questions, and for being the President he really takes the time to listen and take care.

I have also spoke with Horton and they have a tremendous team as well, and have also been really good about communicating with me.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, Rebel, I know Brevard. My daughter went to college there, her first two years. Ain't those NC mountain towns you mentioned great. I've been in all of them and the air is sweet up there.
BBO
Old 08-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buddy

Yeah, Rebel, I know Brevard. My daughter went to college there, her first two years. Ain't those NC mountain towns you mentioned great. I've been in all of them and the air is sweet up there.
BBO
The best!The only thing I don't like is Ramps!

Last October my wife, I and family went to eat at the Pisgah Inn on top of Mt. Pisgah!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

As ya'll know, I'm an Excal fan. I've made some observations I'm gonna share. Actually, when you get an Excal, you are getting two bows for the price of one. The breakdown is as follows: E'max/E'cet, E/cet/Phoenix, Phoenix/Vixen. With stock 350 gr arrows and fff string the Emax is at 350/355 fps. Go to 431 gr arrows you are gonna be near 330 fps, same as Ecet. Take the Phoenix outta the box, 350 gr arrows, fff string, 300/305 fps. Put an Excel on it and go to 431 gr. it's at 290 fps. Take the E'max, put Excel and 431 gr arrows, 308 fps, near Phoenix performance w/ tad better k.e. I know this won't affect you wheel guys, and btw Hotburn, that post about Hortons and 30 yrs of supporting the xbow was excellant! Your experiences w/ yours is probably not that remarkable, more the norm I'd think. I know they have an out standing service dept, I've used it. Hope this info helps you Excal guys, present or future.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

For once and all, all crossbows are good as long as they shoot fast and are acurate. Theres nothing worse than shooting an animal and its the wrong shot. There. As for choice of crossbows im barnett for ,price,quality,accurate,warrenty. Ive got friends that shoot ecal hort 10 point, who cares kill the animal.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn that was a great post for your bow of choice. It sounded like an infomercial. Whats your sleep number?I think the question should be is there a bow we would not buy? I get the impression that all the major players make a good bow and the choice is akin to the old Chevy/Ford or Remington/Browning question. Price sure comes into play as some cost more than a mortgage payment but probably don't kill any cleaner than a cheaper bow. It's not what you hit them with, it's how you hit them. You should howeverbuy an Excalibur just cause those Canadians produce so little and we should help those in our suburbs to the north.I have only had to replace the limbson my Pheonix oncein the 10 weeks I have had it. I think that might have been due to loser error.I am serious when I ask if there is a bad bow out there? >>>>>>>>Whack!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Planter: there are a few bad ones out there, the old Whammo is fairly unsafe, and the current Chinese offerings are pretty suspect, although I'm sure some one has got one and will be checking in shortly. lol

99Jeep: please don't take the brand thing seriously, we joke and kid about them alot. My first real xbow was a Barnett Commando, a particularly nasty lil booger that was a recurve that you cocked by breaking it open like a dbl bbl shotgun. The dang cocking claws ate strings like a weed eater, but it would Robin Hood at 25 yds all day long, and I've read of pass thru's on deer w/ one. glad to see you here, and wanted to lewt you know we really do play nice!!