Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Need Info

Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need Info

I am new to crossbows, I was wondering if you can use regular broadheads on the bolts or are there specific broadheads for crossbows. Any info will be great, Thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Info

More information would be nice. Do you shoot mechanicals? What are you hunting? What speed does your crossbow shoot?
BTW, no offence but it is currently perfered for political reasons as well as accuracy that we all call them arrows.
Don
Old 08-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry about that. 270fps, Yes, I shoot mechanicals and I hunt Deer.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:26 PM

You can shoot any fixed blade head on a BOLT (sorry don, just had to do it!) Asfor mechs you have to be careful. Some of the mechs can have premature openings from the power of a CB, but DNK is the resident expert on the mechs so his next reply should be able to help ya out. But as for me, for the last ten years I have always used Muzzys 100 grain and never had any problems, but just wished my trails were a little shorter. I have had the itch to try a mech for two or three years now and this year I narrowed it down to the G5 Teken 2's. Will be ordering them soon and cant wait to give a try.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 PM

I say you could shoot any can of broad heads that you what too. I have neve hand a problem with my broad heads.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

At 270 which is pretty close to what I shoot with my arrows, you can use just about anything. Some of the hotrod crossbows at 300 ftps or higher have problems with opening on the launch of the arrow. Any mechanical will work fine. At the low speeds that I use, I still double my O rings on my wasp mechanicals and no I am far from an expert on this matter. Really any good broadhead will work well. Just try to stick with smaller profiles in both mechanicals and fixed. Shoot what gives you confidence in accuracy and humane kills. So buy some and shoot them to make sure they perform at higher speeds that you shoot. Don't forget that there are still some non vented or poorly vented blanes that really were not intended to be shot on a high speed, short, abruptly accelerated ARROWS! (LOL!!!) Hang a sheet of paper infront of your target to confirm that your mechanical does not open on the shot. I think you would be hard pressed to use or find a mechanical with a good name brand that will not efficiently put down a deer shot under normal circumstances.
Now after having said all that, I only use my arrows and broadheads once. yes I don't often recover them (I hunt from groundblinds) but some guys have had problems with various mechanicals after repetitve use. I hope all this rambling helps.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

I have a (as DNK calls it) HOTROD. It is a high speed, short, abruptly accelerated piece of beauty. She is warm, cuddley, smells sweet and has a covering on her that will simply take your breath away! She seems so gently when I'm cranking her back into cocking position, but look out for her ugly side, withthose nails that will open upond impact and cut your gizzard out most ricky tick! She has 3power wison and her strike is over 313 fps.
She has one nail that has brought down 6 different deer so I'm retiring that nail this year. She is proud of her switch blade nails and I am too.
The widow maker will be on the prowl beginning Sept 9th so lock up your bucks in N.C. orTHE WIDOW MAKER WILL GET 'EM
BBO
Old 08-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey Buddy what broadhead do you love so much?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Why, Crimson Raptors of course! A cold blooded killer!
BBO
Old 08-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

From what I understand is that they make no real entry cut but a crazy big exit. Is that your experience?