Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Hog Hunt Finally

Old 08-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog Hunt Finally

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I'm guessing here, but by behind the ear, you mean a spine shot right??
If you use a wide cut broadhead you will hit the brain!Unless you get an angle shot at the lungs, you will have to penertrate the shield.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: htoler

I thought about going down to southern IL. and hunting hogs but they say there are only a few there and there not seen that much, well maybe Tennasee next year..

Good Luck Dan be careful out there..
Get with gitrbayed, he's in NE Tenn. and see what he will charge you?

http://www.huntingfootage.com/data/513/richardshoghunt.wmv
Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks alot Reb, now I gotta go put the FFF on the Emax and sight it in, let it stretch for a day or two, lol. You got me thinking, pal, thank you!!

My Vixen hiding buddy is taking his faithful .22 mag, I've seen him perform w/ it, but I'm getting mine w/ xbow or don't want em. I'm really hoping for a slight quartering away shot, would take ear or heart on that. Also, given the choice, I'd like mid size ones for meat, rather have two 150 lbs than one 300. Am I correct in thinking as long as I don't hit the shoulder itself, I'll clear the shield?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go get dem Hogs! Those slick tricks will do the job, i have shot a few with my Bow over the years. I always got a broadside and they always made it thru the shield. Shot one thru chest thru brisket in front of right shoulder, went thru and out by last ribs. Went about 170lbs. Did a circle and gave up the ghost!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: aw shucks

Also, given the choice, I'd like mid size ones for meat, rather have two 150 lbs than one 300.
Yep, I go along with that! This one was made all into sausage, it weighed 465lbs. I killed it just to mount the head.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank ya'll for the good wishes and good advice. Just checked both the Phoenix and E'max at 30. My hunting arrows have "tarted-up shafts", LOL Dnk and so weigh 10 gr more than the 431's I shoot, plus have a tad different FOC, so I have a mark on V-zones that I can go back and forth between the two weights. I'm guessing ya'll be curious how much difference, answer: a good 2" at 30. Both bows put a slick right in the center of target, like I hoped they would, but years of facing mysteries shooting stuff has left me a sceptic. Ya gotta love a 2000+ plus year old weapon design that does what these things do, no matter whose name is on the label!! Hope to have a good report when I get back!! p.s. Somebody crank up Henry a little while I'm gone.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Dan, make sure you wear a jock strap with a cup, don't want you talking to me in a high voice!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Dan, make sure you wear a jock strap with a cup, don't want you talking to me in a high voice!
[/align]
Old 08-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Glad to her you got the Emax and Phoenix dialed in , sounds like you just about have things set and ready to go,,I really do hope you have a great trip.. but things wont be the same without you here to take a poke at me over the weekend,,
maybe you should pick up one of those mid evil armour suits, so you can get into the true spirit of using the crossbow..
on this trip dont bring em back alive... bring em back field dressed or processed...