Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Limb Savers ?????

Old 08-02-2006, 01:08 AM

Default Limb Savers ?????

What do You Guys think of Limb Savers on X Bows. I have one with split limb design. It is only a Barnett Revalution,but I want to make the best Barnett around.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Limb Savers ?????

what are you planning to use the crossbow for? if you are trying to make it quiet ,, its not going to happen you will never get a crossbow quiet enough that a deer will not hear it , if you are just going to use the crossbow for target shooting and 3d shooting , and you want it quieter for you then you couls use the limbsavers Tenpoingt said in their reserch they found the NAP thunderblocks to work best.. and for the most part anything you do to try to make it quieter will cost you fps.
now if you are just trying to make the coolest looking crossbow you possibly can then the limbsavers look pretty neat.
so I guess what it boils down too is what do you mean by the best Barnet around??
Old 08-02-2006, 03:22 AM

Well it seems here on this forum if You do not have a ten point or an Xcal bow, You are not evin in the running for a quality bow Well I have a Barnett and want to make it the most accurate, quiet hunting crossbow that I can. It is the one I owne and I want to give it all I can to asure a clean humane harvest for the deer that I hunt. So If anyone has any suggestions on improving on the Barnett Revolution for deer hunting, I would appreciate all the advice I can get.

I do not mean to offend anyone but read some of the posts from a newbees point of view.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fl StillHunter:May I offer some tips? We were all newbies here once. We don't hold any xbowmfgr in low esteem. I'm hoping you may have noticed that we can and do put all, well nearly all, the clowning and joking around aside when someone has either a serious question or a problem.

My 2 cents worth on noise dampening is there is really nothing you can do about it that will make much of a difference. It's just the nature of the beast. Excal's Bill T. did an article on this sometime ago in HBM, and I'm going from memory here which can be dangerous at my age, lol but what it came down to was basically anything shooting anywhere near 300 fps and you were good to go as far as string jump goes out to about 30-35 yds. on unalert unaware deer. I think myself that some of the string jump experiences people have had were due to the deer spotting some slight movement and were gonna bolt anyway. No pun intended.

DJH: If you should cruise by, could you maybe post the gist of that article before seasons open?

Hope this helps ya some!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:31 AM

Hay Fl still Hunter if a barnett is the xbow that you have it does not matter what other pople have you xbow will take down a deer just as good as some other xbow. I have a parker and would not take a ten point if some one gave it to me not to say that thay are not good xbows but i just like the one that I have. And I do havethe limb savers kit on my xbow but could not till you if it makes quiet or not. I do think it helps. I say but some on there it has to help some.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey my friend i don't know if that limb saver setup will get it quiet, try it and see. I use cat whiskers on my Phoenix and it does quieten a good bit. Yes i lost a few fps, no big thing. Trouble with them is they will break off as you shoot. I have shot about 300 times and need to tie a new set on my string.[]
Old 08-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Limbsavers are hard to keep on. The trouble with stuff you put on is that if they come off it may land up in your face. Other than that you will loose a few ft/sec and it will be more quite. The deer you shoot at will not care but the deer in the woods might. To my knowledge they will not make your bow more accurate. I still today do not know why I bother putting on noise suppressors on my compound. I do not put them on my xbows because I have had them shoot off the limbs and strings and into my face. I know that the split limb savers will not come off but still the above applies. If you want the bow to be quieter then go ahead but you will have to make a judgement call to see if the extra few ft/sec is worth you hearing a quieter bow.
Don't be thinking at all the we think of your bows as garbage for a moment. You see the side ways comments and the poking at each other but its all in good fun. Noone takes offence todate. We even bug the barnett toting Squirrel and he is our juvenille delinquent, resident pet tree rat, tough guy! No don't take offence because there is none intended. If you took offence I appologize on the behalf of the twerp that insulted you. Let us know if you have a problem with anything so we can get it sorted out before it festers.
Don
Old 08-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

My 2 cents worth on noise dampening is there is really nothing you can do about it that will make much of a difference. It's just the nature of the beast.
This has been my observation too , if you're withing the right range zone by the time the critter hears the sound it's too late anyway .

BTW , I own a Barnett Ranger straight prod , loud is it's middle name .
Old 08-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

As it was said to Awsucks by the honerable Dan Miller the best sound suppressor is a set of ear plugs. The deer you shoot at is not going to hear the bow. As a side note if you position yourself infront of the bow say ten to thirty yards away (without being shot) you will find out that the its louder around the bow rather than infront of the bow. Personally I think most of the noise we here is from the stock. Replacing the stock with a wood stock will make the biggest difference and look very cool.
Don
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

well I hope my statement did not come accross as knocking you crossbow of choice, if you are happy with you Barnett than thats great, so far as putting any of the silencing devices on the strings I have been told this is a waste of time because they will fly off its a matter of when , and where are they going to land/hit, as it has ben stated crossbows are noisy by nature, so if ti were me I would work on the bows accuracy doing what I could to get better groups , so that I had confidence in shooting the crossbow come the time the deer was in front of you. what arrows/bolts are you shooting? I know you have to have the 22 inch with a half moon nock, did you get your scope problem fixed?

Quick Reply: Limb Savers ?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.