Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Confusion on crossbows

Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Confusion on crossbows

Using a crossbow will be new to me.

So why the huge difference in FPS on certain models?

example: Horton with a 150 lb. draw at 250-260 FPS compared to Barnett with 150lb. draw and 345 FPS.

Educate me on this difference.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Confusion on crossbows

Ok, I'll jump in feet first ready for a bloddy nose! LOL
The difference is only (with one acception) marketing. You can take anything in north america with a excalibur vixen. Its the slowest cheapest bow that they make. If you go to the excal site some information will bear out the fact that it does the highest speeds of say 350 or so does not, in the real world, significantly make an arrow flatter. That is to say that you still have to compensate for normal hunting distances of less than 40 yards whether you are shooting a slow excalibur bow of 285 ftps or if you are shooting the fastest of 355 ftsec. What more power does get you is a higher terminal energy, this is the acception, the only difference the higher powered bows get you. Recently an elephant was taken with an Excalibur. You can bet that every single foot pound of energy was needed and used. To truly appreciate and utilize the highest poundage you have to use HEAVY arrows. Not sure but I think the elephant arrow was in the 700 grain range. That is a real heavy weight if you compare to most crossbow arrows that are around the 400 pus weight.
So after explaining the true reason for speed here comes the explanation as to the reason for the differences.
#1.. arrow weight, when a company markets a bow they want the highest speed to be shown, so they use impractical arrow weights to get high speeds to attract you the potential buyer.
There is no standardization like the vert bow biz that states IBO specs of a minimum of 5 grains per pound of draw weight. Yes this almost immoral but if there is no standardization, whats a company to do to survive? They need to sell to survive and they need to attract to sell. Speed sells! Might not be relevant but it does sell.
#2...efficiency. What does make things efficient is things like string tavel (this is the best way to get speed), efficiency of limb design (Excaliburs have the most efficient limb design being the only one with recurve limbs), cam design (some cams store more energy)
Thats all I am aware of and I hope this clears the mud!
Welcome to the most fun archery forum on the net. We get carried away sometimes having fun but its a good info sharing forum.
I'm sure there will be a difference in opinion as well as more information but take everything that gets said (including me, LOL) and buy what feels the best to you after you shoot it. I will not tell say what I think is the best bow for you but I will tell you that it is pretty well the consensus of general forums that the Ten Point generally the best production wheel bow available. Wheel/compound crossbows are narrow. The most uncomplicated bow is the Excalibur but it is wide.
Ok guys take your best shot at me!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Above and beyond what has been said some brands come much closer to the truth than others. I have a Barnett that consistantly shows 185 on the chorny,yes I did say 185 not 285. I keep it hanging on the wall to remind me that at least in some cases you get just what you pay for it hangs right along side of my 10pt when I am not shooting the 10pt. Lee
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Lee, what do you use that sucker for frogs? LOL. What is it if I may ask?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

no shots here thats good info dnk,, the only thing I would add is that not all the companies will provide you with misleading info telling you their crossbow will shot up to 345fps and you get it home and it does 275 or so,, some of the companies will give you true info on what their bows will shoot, I know Excalibur will give you true info ,, and I know TenPoint will give you true info.. can not speek for the others have not shot them,, if you want what is for the most consenses the best you coug get , the my thought would be either the TenPoint or the Excalibur. but as dnk said that my opinion others may have different thoughts, theres a lot of good info to be had here , and lots of fun too..
good luck on your choice and let us know what you get , and dont be affraid to ask questions,,

Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You are absoulutely right Henry. I forgot to mething that. Thanks for clearing my mud pond up.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

When comparing performance of crossbows, one thing to keep your eye on is the length of the power stroke. A longer power stroke will deliver more fps because it stores more kinetic energy in the arrow. That, along with the other factors listed above, can make a whole lot of difference between crossbows (or vertical bows) with the same draw weight.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The draw weight is not the only factor to get speed. The power stroke has alot to do w/ it. This is how far the string goes back when cocked to put it simply. A little known fact is that all current production Excals use the same limbs. You can, IOW, switch the limbs on a 285 fps Vixen w/ the limbs on an E'max and both will still shoot what ever they were shooting before. Excal models get their rated speeds by differences in rail length and angled limbs. A big factor in my book is trigger pulls. Since the trigger system has to handle en extreme amount of pressure, it's expensive to make them both strong enough and still low enough for accurate shooting. Not to sound like an Excal salesperson, but all of their models have the same [real nice] triggers. There's a foolowing on here for virually every brand made, lot's of "brand loyalty" and it's best if you can get someplace to check out a prospective purchase "hands on" Welcome to the land of the permanently disorientated!! Edit: Hi DJH!! I see we were both at it at the same time, and you got there firstest w/ mostest. lol
Old 08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

So I take it from the lack of shots that no one loves me anymore? I'm soooo sad! Now where is that tree rodent, he'll take a shot at me...
Its the honerable Daniel Hendricks. Just about the biggest leader in the cause for crossbows! How are you Daniel? How is the cause going? I see you've been busy. How many places are you a mod? I think I've seen you in three(?) forums as a mod. Where and what are you hunting for next?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

disorientated -- hey I resemble that statement , even more good info. personally from what I have learned I would not chose a crossbow for its speed potential , I would take accuracy over speed any day . what good would it do to send an arrow down range at 400fps if it hit a foot from where you were aiming .
so reserch the different brands ask questions about the ones you are interested in narrow down your choices then find a proshop that carries the ones your interested in and handle and shoot them,, and decide from the , the right crossbow will let you know she is the right one for you. thats my opinion again lol

Quick Reply: Confusion on crossbows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.