Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Chrony Results Part 1

Old 08-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chrony Results Part 1

I might be wrong but I'm sure that once my flemish strings settle in they do not stretch any more. Like you said earlier do what with you bow. If one wants the extra few feet per second then go to the fastest string.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk: what I meant was I don't have to fool w/ brace height w/ Excel, and since I couldn't see any speed advantage w/ Flem dacron, I don't have much use for them. It's funny, but my two recurves want different lengths on the stringer, and I'm too cheap to get another, so I'm constantly adjing it to adj the b. heights. Seems like it's always set for "the other" bow, lol. My buddy was over last night, has woman problems, looks like she's moving out and the Vixen is moving in! lol
Old 08-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

A speed demon! Thats ok in my books, like anyone cares what's in my books other than myself. LOL.
I just cannot be bothered to use the stringer. I just crank the limbs over with my foot in the stirrup. Just like in the old days when there was no stringer.
Sounds like the replacement for the woman is going to be much less trouble! Then he can introduce the next woman to the faithfull vixen. Sounds like a practical plan to me. LOL!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

I guess you could make a 350 grain arrow out of a messed up 431 you might find out your Phoenix is one of those that shoots faster than the average, or listed speed of 305 fps for a Poenix, did you try out any of your what were they 442`s to see what they do and how many fps you loose if any.. I k
I know they say the FFF string will strech in ,, for the first 20 or so shots, then it should be pretty much set,
dont know about the flemish dacron not a lot of info on it in cyberworld..

thats kinda wild about the stringer whenI went from the Phoenix when it died to the Exocet I did not have to adjust the stringer at all, but even though I can use the stringer manually I kinda like my back so in addition to it I use the rope cocking aid , maybe that is why I did not have to adjust it.
this is good info ..
again thanks Dan for going through all the trouble to get us this info..

Old 08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure this thread is getting long it the tooth. Guys bear in mind that what I say about my bow is almost irrelevant to what you guys need to know. My old bow has carved limb tips and I cannot use anything except dacron (flemish or endless loop). Please bear this in mind. Having said that I still use the dacron flemish string (as opposed to fast flight flemish) on my new vixen and its just because I am afraid that someone(myself esp) will dryfire it!!!!! LOL Yuppers, happened once and ya never know! Now where is a moderator to lock this thread when we need it locked!
Hloter don't be ashamed of the confusion over the names (you are not alone just the only vocal one here) just use what you like for speed or looks purposes, The string page on the Excal website explains all you need to know and the chrony will make your decision, your decision and will make it final.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, Henry, I guess to be accurate, I'm just not into speed. I was curious about the differences in arrow weights and string performances, so I found out for myself. You know I got the Emax before a computer, had I known then some of what I know now, it would still be living at Cabela's.

I can shoot all four of these bows ar 30 yds, several shots each, and when I go to pull the arrows, there is very little difference in penetration, maybe an inch to inch and a half max.

Everybody on here has an xbow that will do the job, no matter which choice they made. Just went to the shop, saw fff on the Emax had stretched all the way to where riser meets the rail, thought screw it, put the Excel on, guessed right on the brace height [number of twists] and popped the center at 30 from a rest. Don't think there is gonna be a "chrony part II" lol, too hot, too much work!!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

no part II?? thats ok you have providee us with a lot of good info here Dan, thanks for putting in the time effort and bearing the heat out there to get this info for us.. I know I appriciate it,

and thanks for being patient with me when I was all strung up.

so from me a very big thank you
Old 08-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Henry..... you're a good man!