Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I figured it out....Carbon vs. Aluminium

Old 07-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I figured it out....Carbon vs. Aluminium

why waste money.listen to ole sproul.get a big feed bag at feed mill. cost.50 cents. fill it with old rags ,jeans etc.it will stop your arrow.i see people wasting money on those foam targets.been doing this for 40 years,so i guess i know a little.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Sproulman!! Welcome to the forum!! Sometimes knowing a little can be a lot around here!! lol Looking forward to picking your brain!!

Oops! See ya got 150 more posts than me, lol so guess you ain't new after all, just didn't recognize the name. Still gonna pick your brain!! LOL
Old 07-15-2006, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use big old burlap bags that used to hold coffee. Double them up, stuff them with rags, (check wifes closet)throw on a couple of zip ties and you are more than set.Easy to make, last a long time and are perfect for hanging randomly around the back forty. I spray paint an aiming point or two on the backs and even they last a long time. I will say that they weigh close to a ton when they are wet.>>>>>>>>>Whack
Old 07-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

now this is good info too bad I didnt hear this before I plunked down 90 bucks on a usless Block crossbow target that you cannot pull arrows out of without tying the to the bumper of yer truck and locking it into 4 wheel drive..
sounds like you guys just made the same target that I gave Morrell 70 bucks for ,, guess I give 70 bucks for the pretty packaging although the Morrell target works great cant complain about it..
Old 07-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Ain't it the truth htoler about that darn crossbow block? I bought one too and I thought I'd have to leave the arrows in the thing as I couldn't hardly get them out. I had to stand on the thing and pull with both hands and the foam was burned onto the carbon arrow. I hate it and told the company on the phone they were false advertising. LOL. Thinking now I might make a rag sack like you guys are talking about to shoot into.
BBO
Old 07-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The four-sided block has been a bit of a drag for broadheads. Tear out the guts of the target just pulling an arrow. The butt end of a wally world 3d works better. I guess we do have four sides to shoot at so maybe it will last awhile>>>>>>>>>>> >>>Whack
Old 07-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I moved from alumnum bolts last year because of the way they flew. I found the alumnum to be more difficult to get out of the decoy even with the pliers type puller. I do like my carbons.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I just spray my carbons and aluninums with silicone. In foam targets the shafts melt the target material. Gold Tip tells me to spray the shaft with Pam. Anyways, there were times when shooting too close the the target, I had to tip the target over and stand on it the pull the arrows out. Silicone makes a huge difference. If I had to guess Planter's aluninum shafts are heavier so they melt more foam.
That's a great idea DNK!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

some put car wax on arrows and shine them up so they pull out easy.others use pam cooking spray.on the target thing. my feedmill bag or as someone said ,burlap bag if you can find one.stuff with rags, old jeans ,shirts etc. i then get a cardboard box, i stick the bag inside the box.you can sometimes find boxes at the appliances stores out back they will give you.some of these boxes are about 4 ft high with tops cut off.you then drop in your bag.then put or paint on front of box your target.i use those little orange stick-on targets for your rifles.but they fall off sometimes after you pull arrow out. so, best is to spray on a mark with black paint.i seen people take box and spray white paint on it about 12 x 12 sq.then in center ,spray a dot of black paint ,or get a black marker,any make any kind of mark you want in center of white.use your money to buy extra arrows.also this set-up is portable, you can take it with you,just get a smaller height box if you dont have room in your car.