Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How to figure down range velocity and energy??

Old 06-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to figure down range velocity and energy??

ORIGINAL: awshucks

You got what YOU wanted, we got what WE wanted. It all can be good w/o being the same. There is no One Best.
Thats why I bought a couple of each! Now I've got the best no matter which side you're on! LOL
I like my Tenpoint and also the Excals. I shoot the Tenpoint better but if I was going on a trip out somewhere I would take the Excal, a couple of strings and stringer and not worry. Each has it's place for me. Besides he who dies with the most xbows wins.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Typical Buck

Dan what do you have tied up in your 2 ExCaliburs?? I have $1500.00 tied up in my ProElite and yes it came with everything accudraw steady eddy hardcase pratice arrows hunting arrows and many other accessories, everything you would need to be able to use the crossbow,, take it out of the case fine tune the sighting because they come boresighted,, and go to the woods and go hunting..

and I would put my ProElite up against any other crossbow so far as accurcy also,, it is way more accurate than I will ever be..

Old 06-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what awshucks has in his, the Phoenix can be had fer $410.Add rope cocker, stringer, extra string half dz. arrows its still under $500 and ready to hunt! Deer don't stand a chance inside 30 yds.[8D]It will tear the covering off golf ball at 30 yds.[] Just put that green front bead on it and watch it get torn up after you are sighted in of course![:-]All the others just stand and watch this bad boy work![:@][&o]hahaha No use to hang yer heads just get an Excalibur the next time you need a crossbow to do the job right![8D]Thats right i be instagating, but i knowed who's xbow will take all the marbles home at the end of the day.Try but don't cry![][&o]
Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 AM

Smoke, I "almost" have 3 Excals, Exomag,older Exocet,and a Buckmaster Max-Point which Excal makes everything but the split carbon limbs and 175lbs no let off cams(which makes it mightyyyyy fast, oopps I was not supposed to mention that).............Thanks for everybody that WELCOMED me to this forum, appreciate it...........And my bowsshoot almost as "GOOD" as I dooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to answer the question about Geritol, It keeeeeps us old folks regular, so we do not havejuvenile temper tantrums(at least keeps it to a mininum)
Old 06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Htoler: I'm in pretty close to $1500. This includes about 3 dozen GT LII's and about 18 Slick Tricks, two levels mounted, and an Excal xbow stand, and several extra/different strings. I don't have a Steddy Eddie, but I made a rest out of an old aluminum crutch. The only time I use that is in my ground blind, cause there's not much extra room and I have to pack a load on atv anyhow. If I ever get a 10 pt it will be to use in ground blind off of my rest, as they like all compounds are a little too front heavy for my injured shoulder to shoot off-hand. Butthey are alot more compact than a recurve. Btw: my LII's are $65 per dozen from Danny Miller. And, I'm not counting the $ in targets.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

jaygal, are arrow speeds really important to you?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:08 AM

Yes,yes and yes again, it will greatly mininize range estimation(the greatest problem with archery equipment)....But speed without accuracy will do nothing to put meat in your freezer(you will spend too much time pulling your arrows or bolts out of the dirt or whatever else you might hit by accident) I must not be the only one, every bow & x-bow company ads are related to speed(even the custom recurves and longbows,"purists" that they are,have ads that surpass some compounds of ten or fifteen years ago)How about the gun manu's with the short magnums, how about Hornady light mags, how about thenew 17cal(which by the way is the hottest round to hit the market lately) how about the 204 Ruger, they can hardly keep them in stock. And do not forget Weatherby, he made a good living making the fastest and I might add accurate round. The 257Weatherby is probably still the premier round for almost any medium game, very very fast and accurate. Mr Weatherby said it best "speed kills" but without accuracy it means nothing..........
Old 06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I used to be in the speed game with compounds and 3-D's and all that. Then one day I went from 325 fps closer to 300 fps with the same bow, different arrows. With the same clicks on my sight from 20 yds to 40 yds I lost less than 1" drop at 40 yds. Speed is overrated. Anything that shoots from 290 - 320 fps is very close under 40. At deer size game under 30yds it makes no difference.

Besides if you take away all the error making things what can you blame a miss on?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey y'all like the State Highway Patrol said SPEED KILLS! We have wood-alum. and carbon duckers down here. Yer arrow best be doing some moving out at 30 yds. 270 fps or better start off or you be collecting deer hair here and there. I know there are a few compound xbow shooters here. So don't get uptight about my razzing y'all, just trying to learn ya about the best xbow made. Yup its those Excaliburs! Gee it don't get any better than that. I am so glad that they ( compound xbow companies)are starting to fix those lead pull triggers, on the new ones. So maybe they will fit the older models, hope so. Y'all need all the help you can get! [&o][][:-][:'(]
Old 06-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jg7: I'm still amazed at your set-up. With a red dot [seem to recall that's what you're using] that's got to be real user friendly for hunting. I'm using V-zones on both Excals, and am really impressed w/ them actually doing as claimed. Doesn't matter what bow, arrow or fps, they adjust to right on the money at all ranges for me. I'm an accuracy freak, lol. Got one of those .17 hrms, T/C Contender Carbine, oversize hinge pin, and BSA Sweet 17 scope. Not sure how well it compensates, but grey squirrels to 150 yds are stew. Also got a .223 bbl for it, the thing loves cheap Win ammo, 46 gr jhp's at 3600 fps. Both shoot under a dime at 100 yds. Get the .223 ammo at Mal-Wart, 40 rnds for $12 and change. You seem very knowlegeable about all this stuff, am I correct in my assumption that to a point we can get the same k.e. w/ light and fast as w/ tad slower and tad heavier? Thanks again for letting us pick your brain LOL

Quick Reply: How to figure down range velocity and energy??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.