Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How to figure down range velocity and energy??

Old 06-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to figure down range velocity and energy??

BBO: Well said!! I've sent a pic of my bud Tom w/ three mounts into cyber space, all three scored over 170 Boone and Crocket, two of which were taken w/ a crossbow [no name today lol] that started out w/ 286 fps, lowered some by string and arrow weight change. The third was a gun kill, but I've been told that the odds of one person taking 3 deer over 170 are 16 million to one!! It's all much ado bout nothing. Nothing will beat being familiar w/ your equipment. I read a post recently on another forum where a fellow xbower only could afford a xbow I consider to be one step above a boat anchor, yet he's taken two or three deer w/ it. IMHO, now's the time to practise and get your ranges down for the fall hunting. Don't forget we got a contest going on!! I'm glad he's now a teen-ager, woulda hated to get waxed by a kid! LOL
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

JQ7 you are claiming that a manufacturer is misleading their customers based on the results of shots fired from a used crossbow? how old was it?? what kind of shape was it in?? when was the last time it had been tuned ??
and you are talking what 12 fps??
Old 06-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I've been trying to stay out of this but.............. all I'll say is that I think there are pencil pockets in order here. Like who cares? I wish I found myself that interesting. LOL! How inept must one be in the shooting and hunting department to seek out the flatest trajectory? Buddy said it well. Buddy you might not be young or good looking but you got it right! Pass the Gerritol!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:24 AM

htoler, You really do not need to PM me,unlike you I have read "all" of your posts on this thread.Buy the way that Elite was a 2005 model(185lbs) and it was in tune,with a set of Limbsavers on it. Sorry that I did not write down every time I shot a bow or crossbow or rifle or pistol thru the chrono(I will try to be better at that in the future). And your rant about air rifles,bb's,guns,and etc,etc,etc,my response about "bb's,was not in response to you, it was in response to another person on this topic....If anything Ten-Point should be thankful for I was one of the people who helped get a crossbow season in Maryland(limited as it is).So I will accept a thank you FROM THEM THRU YOU.............A person should shoot whatever he or she is comfortable with, plain and simple......I am sure "most" of you shoot either rifles or slug guns and I am also sure(hopefully so) you sight them in, and trajectory plays a large part of that. Archery equipment is far more critical, if I had a quarter for everytime some one told me they missed because they thought the deer or whatever was 20 and they used their 30 yard pin or vice-versa, I would be wealthy.Try to be the best possible shot you can, our industry DOES NOT need any more bad publicity.......................................An d to Buddy, I got a kick out of your response, I thought every old cogger took their Geritol(I do) and I did not know my Atv had 3rd gear( see ignorance is bliss)
Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

JQ7: Hey!! Thanks for your posts, I for one learned a few things, and I appreciate your efforts to enhance and further the xbow movement. We tend to be a little more light hearted here for the most part. Keep the ifo and your thoughts coming! Most of us already knew the fps ads are like the gas mileage stickers on new vehicles LOL. What the heck does this Geritol stuff do anyhow?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:35 PM

I stayed out of this one and boy it was fun to watch!! You seam like a very good debater and able to keep it cool! I will say you must be wrong about the hortons though! I know they would ever fudge their numbers!! LOL. The whole post seemed very good and your right about people saying how many deer they have missed because of miss judged yards and such. That is why I only shoot at twenty yards because I suck at judgement after that. Also don't know if it was said before but welcome to the CB forum!!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

JQ7 I pm`ed you so as to not continue a heated debate on the forum,, and I did read all of your post thanks for calling me a lier,, and in your very first post you used the word lie.. as for me I will not put much into what you have to say since you were only able to provide info on one bow shot,, and then didnt even bother to ask the manufacturer if this was comon for their bows,, maybe their was a problem with the Elite that your customer bought I would be willing to bet that if your customer was to contact TenPoint this isshue would be addressed..by any chance do you know who makes the arrows for TenPoint?? I do... check into that and let us know who makes them.. anyway welcome to the forum I guess a heated debate now and then can be a good thing it can bring out some good info that might not normally come out..
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

y'all don't stop as i am getting into this here so called debate. All of these fast compound xbows that cost over a grand,[][:'(]. Why they can't hold a candle to the famous and great Excalibur's![:-][8D][&:]Tell me who has won all the shooting championships fer past half dz. years, EXCALIBUR!Thats right the old recurve type xbow. Whoowee ain't that enough to chap someones a$$. HAHAHA! I just love it, lets go folks get it right and tight! Mine can shoot better than i can, don't even shoot at end cap on arrow, can you spell Robinhood!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a tad off topic, forgive me, but I've had all I can take. Htoler, you have the Cadillac of compound crossbows, beyond a doubt. The 10 pt Pro-Elite is the undisputed ultimate. It has features that as far as I know aren't available on any other xbow, a dry-fire inhibitor, a grip safety and an automatic trigger safety that goes on when you cock the bow w/ the Acudraw. You also paid for all of these features. You also probably got a hard case w/ your set-up. I didn't get any of that w/ my two Excals. Didn't want it or need it. I've been putting a Win. Mod 97 on safe once I rack a shell into it for over 40 years, so I personally have no trouble w/ the manual safety on Excals. Bought a double rifle case at Mal-Wart for $18 that will transport my admittedly more bulky choice in Excals. However, I'm going to point out to you that I have less [not much] money tied up in both of my bows than you do in your choice. You have an Acudraw, at $200 or so, I have a couple of rope cockers for $19 each. Before anyone wants to debate a rope cocker vs. an Acudraw, I'm telling ya that I get more accuracy from them than I'm capable of using. I don't have to have my bows serviced or stuff changeds by Excal, I do it myself, which also opens up possibilities for me to tinker. I may be or not may not be your average xbower. The point I'm trying to make is we are all different. I will put either of my two Excals up against any hunting xbow made for accuracy. Don't care about mfgs claims, my proof is in the pudding and the freezer. And, I'll be the first to tell ya, if I get another xbow, it will be a 10 pt. They are well made and have an excellent reputation. You got what YOU wanted, we got what WE wanted. It all can be good w/o being the same. There is no One Best.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmmm I guessing that most of us should go out and peg some grackles, that would put all of us in a good mood! And yup Henry and Dan, you're both good men! Milke you are a poop stirer, my kinda guy! Now where is Squirrel????

Quick Reply: How to figure down range velocity and energy??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.