Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How to figure down range velocity and energy??

Old 06-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to figure down range velocity and energy??

JQ7,

What speeds are you getting out of the TenPoint bows? We do random tests about every week and we are within 5 fps+/- on nearly every bow. While I agree that there is some serious exageration on speeds by some companies, I am confident that it is not us. We try very hard to give the consumer accurate information on our bows.
I, like htoler, would like you to be able to back up your claims if you are throwing my employer under the bus.

Thanks,
Randy Wood
Sales Manager
TenPoint Crossbows
Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Htoler: While yer waiting...LOL What weight bolts did you get w/ yer Pro Elite? I think lie is a little too strong a word here. If you read some of the various mfg'ers ads you'll see phrases like "capable of xxx fps" or "rated at xxx fps". Excal dropped the advertised fps on their Emax from 355 to 350. I don't know why, nor do I care, but would bet someone whined about a fps or three. What really matters imho is Kinetic energy. Trajectory and being aware of your personal set-up's is also important. You can get close to the same k.e. with a tad heavier tad slower arrow as w/ a little lighter and faster arrow. Your k.e. tells you what to expect for penetration, again my humble opinion, but nearly all the set-ups described here are fro sure pass thru's on deer, prolly more.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:29 PM

When you are talking bb's to hunting bolts you are comparing apples to oranges...BB's(couple of grains), very little or almost no ftlbs and no "sharp" point to speak about, hunting bolts 325 to over 500g and usually a very "sharp" point installed(and sometimes over 100ftlbs of energy).....Remember your physics, an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force, there is no such thing as a "spent" arrow or bolt, as long as they are in motion they are capable of massive damage to tissue bearing animals.................As far as giving you a web-sit to look at for speed results I do not know of any. I gave you an example in the other response I wrote(that being the most recent), Archery and hunting related items including long guns and black powder rifles have been my life for over 22 years. In that amount of time I have shot almost everything(except Great Lakes products)thru the chrono and from experience have seen alot of manufactures that do not "exactly" tell the truth. Sorry I can not be any more specific than that(and I did say that Ten-point made a good bow).
Old 06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a very old Hunter [they changed the name to 10 point]with a set of the first batch of limbs @185# I also have a chrony and it says I am getting 310 with a 20 inch 2219 it shoots real flat for 30 yds which is what I consider the real test.It drives an arrow through a deer and 6 to 8 inches into the ground in all the years I have hunted with it I have never lost or missed a deer; what more could you ask???! Lee
Old 06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

So you have no hard data to support your claims?? nor can you give us any of the speeds you were getting from various crossbows ,, you made the claim that only 2 manufactures were giving accurate FPS ratings for their crossbows,, and that the others gave false info of their crossbows cabilities,,
I could care less about guns air rifles BB`s or bullets.. what bothers me is someone claiming that manufactures are making false claims about their crossbows without being able to provide any hard data to support their claims.. other than to say the one I shot didnt shoot as fast as they claimed it does..
how about posting some data as to what the different crossbows shot thry your crono ???
Old 06-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

This has been a great thread.Not only was my original question answered Ihave been able to learn a little as well. You folks seem to know your $&*# although withdiffering opinions which is great. Maybe I will just keep using the off the shelf Eastons as they fly just fineand I am guessing that they will do the job. The Pheonix shoots better than I do anyway, just like my guns. Oh Yeah, the Easton site says 10.5 grs per inch, 43grs for the carbon insert and 37grs fot the nock.I could have sworn the box said 400gr. Must have been a brain fart.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Planter I must apologias I have taken this offtopic.. because I disagreeded with what someone posted ,, in the future I will try to take that private instaed of sidetracking someones post.. again I apologias..

and if the easton arrows are working for you why change?? if its not broke dont fix it.. JMO
Old 06-20-2006, 03:16 PM

Must have ruffled a few feathers here....If you have not seen manu's tell big "un-truths"(we must not mention lies) then your experience in the Archery industry must be quite limited........As far as "throwing " your employer under the bus, I do not think I did that, Ten-Point makes a good product(fit and finish is excellent). If you want a recent example I will give you one, a few months ago a customer wanted a dozen bolts for his Elite which he had bought from a friend, sold him Gold Tip Lazer2 bolts(total bolt weight415g) a lot lighter than the 2 bolts(more than slightly bent) he had which were 2219's. Asked him if he wanted to shoot thru the chrono(which by the way is a Custom Speed Tach, no cheepo here) first shot 301fps,second 301,third 300 I think that would be 301 average.......Is that bow supposed to shoot 313fps(I think that is what I read in your ad)???????????????????????????
Old 06-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

MY MY MY, hope no ones blood pressure got to high on this post! We all need to play together nicely. No i don't have a chrony, maybe someday! I can and will hijack a thread and quick. Now to the real deal so if a company fudges on the fps a little fer their Xbows, what does it really matter! You pick the Bow that you liked and thats what counts. Yers maybe actually faster than mine, but even with mine shooting say 272 fps. Mine with those lumbering 2219's will punch a big hole into the deer and out the udder side. Plus i will have go chase it down on the other side use up my fat reserve during the fall and winter and we all know that may be bad and make it hard fer meto make it thru the winter![8D][:-][]
Old 06-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Well all I know is my QX 4Elite Ten Point Crossbow I bought in 2004, shot 316, 315, 316, 317, 316 after the scope was centered at the pro shop I purchased it from. That's good enough for me and I couldn't care any less if there are faster bows or slower bows. Mine shoots like the money I paid for her. I love her dearly. People buy what they want, wheather it's the best or not, they like it enough to buy it. If poor old farts like me worried about energy, drop, and speed, we'd drink some Gerritol, take some vitamins andshift to 3rd gear on our four wheelers.
Anyway, JMO
BBO

Quick Reply: How to figure down range velocity and energy??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.