Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How to figure down range velocity and energy??

Old 06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to figure down range velocity and energy??

OK i just weighed 2 of my arrows both 2219's both 20" long both alum. inserts both 100 gr.pt. 1st. one has 5" vanes weight is 493.5 gr. 2nd. one has 5"feathers and it weighs 474.0 a grand total of 19.5 gr. less. They are knocking on the 500 gr. mark, vanes more than feathers. []
Old 06-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok i went and weighed 2 of my arrows, both are 2219's alum. 20" long alum. inserts 5" one of eachvanes and feathers. 100 gr. pt. on each, vanes 493.5 gr. and feathers 474 gr. Heavy ain't they.[]
Old 06-18-2006, 06:21 PM

awshucks.....Here is the breakdown,total bolt weight 325g with 75gfield tipor broadhead (75g Rocket Wolverine or 75g Miniblaster depending on what I grab that day) at least double-banded because of extreme acceleration of the bolt, I get 373fps that is 100.4 ftlbs of energy. You can see I do not have penetration problems. The bow is Truglow2x red dot equipped(great sight, nice prices also) that is set 1.5ins high at 25 yds and a little over 3ins low at 50yds(I do not recommend shooting that far). But I do not have any range estimation problems from 0 to 40yds....Lazer2 brass insert 100g, 2117 alum insert 27g, carbon insert8g, 2117 alum bolt butt 25g, Gold Tip Laser2 bolt butt 25g...No problems with any breakage or string problems with any of the three bows, actually the Bear( Buckmaster Max-point)is quieter than either of the Excaliburs and I seem to shoot that bow a little better. Hope that answers your questions...
Old 06-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

JQ7: Thanks for taking the time to tell me/us that info. WOW that is a really flat trajectory!! Sounds like ya got a couple of winners there. Hope ya get a freezer full!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

So is it being said that Barnet ,, Horton ,, Tenpoint ,, and others are lying about the FPS their bows will shoot??
could you provide us with some data to support this ?? JQ7??
Old 06-19-2006, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Naw just being optimistic, and using lighter arrows. They can afford to replace set of limbs.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never checked the fps either actual or claimed on the seven or so xbows I've had, but the air rifle mfgs have the same "speed wars". I do know alot about their claims. They use an ultra light pellet to get the advertised fps and while their speed claims maybe true, the combination of high velocity and ultra light pellet are generally useless in terms of accuracy or hunting ability.

I'm a classic example of why there are speed wars. When I got back into xbows this go around lol, I opened the cataloge and went for the highest fps for the lowest price. Then next day ordered my Emax, which I really like, got a little smarter and got the Phoenix which I really like better than the Max.

Since a 150# pull Excal Vixen at "about" 286 fps will give you a pass-thru on deer, I choose accuracy over speed, and think we all probably have enough of both regardless of brand or model.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 PM

The only bow of which I have no information on their alleged "speed" results is the Great Lakes(never held or shot one)Now I have sold a few of the others(Horton,Barnett,which are English companies) and Ten-Point which was someone that was at Horton(so I was told) and left rather abruptly.The Ten-Point is a nice improvement over the other two....But back to their "speed claims" I have never even come close to their claims thru my chrono, with the bolt they said the test was done with...Example, last year I sold a Barnett Revolution(could not talk him into the extra 100$ for either the Excalibur or Bear) they claimed 345fps,130ftlbs+or-a few(that would be a 500gbolt) with the 500gbolt the bow shot a little under 290fps with 90ftlbs, a slight "mistake" on their part...But Barnett is not alone in the "speed claim business"..........................
Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Faltness of trajectory needs to be balanced with a certain amount of weight.TO light well think of a BB start out fast like 6oo fps but an arrow will pass it up with in deer range and look at the differance in penatration.
Lee
Old 06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

JQ7 still not seeing any data to support your claims ,, just your claims that TenPoint and others are lying about what FPStheir bows will shoot,, so just what kind of speeds did you get through your crono when you shot them and what models were they? would like to see some true hard data not just a claim that x brand did not shoot what they claimed?? I know one of these companies and seriously doubt they are lying about what their bows will shoot.. I am sure not every crossbow is going to shoot what the manufacturer claims it will,, but would like to see what kind of speeds you are getting from the bows you are claiming the manufacturers are lying about theis FPS..

Quick Reply: How to figure down range velocity and energy??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.