Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Knee Pods???

Old 05-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knee Pods???

Whats the story on KneePods, 10Pts monopod and the like. Seems like a good way to shoot out of a tree stand. Does Excalibur make a version of some sort. I don't feel the need to shoot offhand if I don't have to. I just want to be able to.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knee Pods???

I've got a shooting stick type rest I made out of a crutch, just cut the tubes off at right height and then put a piece of hickory about 2"x2"x7" long on top of them. I put a slight notch in the center, wide enough for the Excal rail to sit in, and rounded the corners off somewhat. The crutch has about 8" of adjustment w/ spring loaded ball on bottom. I pack it on the atv w/ ground blind, chair, ect.

Excal doesn't make any of the deals you asked about, the 10 pt "Steady Eddie" seems to be a neat set-up if you want something like that. My three "fat boy" ladder stands have rails around them that I padded w/ pipe insulation for silence, and work well as a rest.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Typical Buck

The TenPoint Steady Eddie is a great monopod, I have it on my TenPoint ProElite and it works great.. and there have many post where it has been mounted on ExCaliburs, and from what has been said sounds like it works just fine on them also.. I dont think you could go wrong if you got yourself one.. JMO
Old 05-29-2006, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

That Is a great Mcgiver (SP) move Dan.. I know a couple of old folks who certainly don't need both crutches. I think I will try and jury rig something before I buy anything. Save the cash for some other doodads if I can find any.. Would the ten point system poke thru the bottom of the stand. I would guess my Loggy Cheap seats have about a one inch hole in the floor/deck screen. Rockon and straight arrows. Whoops! I guess I mean straight bolts..
Old 05-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think the Steady Eddie would go thru the holes in your deck on your stand. You can get a good look at them at 10 pts new xbow site along w/ their other products. I would have put one on my Excal, but the only time I could use it would be in my ground blind [I don't stalk] and I'm already hauling a load on the atv, so one more thing don't affect me. Besides what I made works well as a cane too. I'm not sure, but believe the S. E. extends far enough to use standing up. Htoler will probably fill ya in better, he's our resident 10 pt user expert along w/ Randy.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

You can get an extension for the S. E. that will allow you to be able to use it standing up. generally though if I am standing up and using my S.E. I extend it to rest on my hip/midsection area. my ladder stand has a rail on it so will just use some pipe insulation on the railing to pad it. and on my hanging stand. I will use the S.E. and extend it to rest between my legs on the seat.. or the bend of my waist. and in my ground blind I will just let it rest on the ground.. I like it because it does not have to be carried as another piece of equipment it is mounted to the crossbow therefore always with you no need to try to figure out how your going to carry it..
Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't seen one from Excal but i tested out an Allen shooting rest that has a mount that attaches to bottom of stand. Put end down in a up right tube and rest swivels, plus you set it fer your heigth. I liked it much better than those Stoney point mono's or bi-pods.[]# i checked was a 2165.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Ladies and Gentlemen – I have been using the Knee Pod for about a year and a half now and to be quite honest, I won’t use anything else to stabilize my crossbow or my camera. It is pretty remarkable when a hunter can sit for a four hour stay in a treestand with his (or her) crossbow at the ready and do it comfortably.

The reasonable cost of the Knee Pod makes it an even better value and the level at which it stabilizes a shot makes wounding or crippling an animal far less likely. It is also a great antidote for the "adrenaline rush", whichhas been responsible for more misses and wounded deer than any other cause. The best part about the Knee Pod is that it is light and easy to carry no matter what the terrain or how big your load.

When you see Daniel James Hendricks hunting with his crossbow, you will see a Knee Pod hooked to his belt or in his backpack, I can guarantee it! On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the Knee Pod a twelve. If I didn’t feel that way, I would be using something else.