Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Just a couple of observations...

Old 05-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just a couple of observations...

If my wife knew how much I love my new Phoenix she would have something to be jealous about.I do note after walking thru the woods stump hunting that this is not an easy weapon to sneak with. In fact, it is downright tough. Aside from the shape itself it has an odd point of balance.I can carry myrifles and " normal " bow with one hand but this seems to demand two. A bit front end heavy. I have not tried a sling yet and will see how that works. If I carry it over my shoulder cocked I feel as though my ear is at great risk. Also, the question of accuracy between compounds and XBows keeps coming up. The Xbow might notbe more accuate using a machine rest of some sort but I am already far more accurate with the XBow than with the compound at thirty yards plus. Not that I am complaining.... In fact it is pretty cool. Rock on.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just a couple of observations...

Yup these Phoenix's are great, i have been busting my 3-D deer target fer several months now. I need a new center section, i am shooting all thru the body now, stick little red dots to aim at.[8D]
Old 05-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just a couple of observations...

Planter: There's a guy selling "carry at the ready" xbow slings that work well. They don't even come close to getting in the way when you go to take a quick shot while stalking. They have a breacket that fits on your stirrup, which has a quick detach rod sticking up about 10" and then the 1st part of the sling coming back from it has a stiffener in it so it always stays up out of the way. About the only way to sling an Excal w/ factory quiver. I use a regular rifle sling alot now that I got Millers top mount quiver. I also use that sling for offhand shooting, it seems to steady me some. If you think your Excal is a little front heavy, shoulder a comp[ound and see the difference. It's all a trade off. Narrower limbs but more front end weight. The guy w/ fancy slings is down to near $20 a pop now. He used to advertise in HBM, and I've given all my back issues out, but you could call DJH I'm sure he can hook you up if you're interested Regards